Nutrition Assistant, Cooperative Extension
Job no: 500830
College / VP Area: College of Ag & Natural Res
Work type: Staff
Categories: Full Time, Extension and Outreach
PAY GRADE: 25N
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Cooperative Extension is an outreach branch of the University. Cooperative Extension’ educational and research programs connect the public with university knowledge, research, and resources to address the needs of youth, family, community and agricultural communities. Cooperative Extension works in the areas of agronomic and vegetable crop production; farm and youth safety; 4-H/ youth at risk; health and well-being. These programs are aimed at improving the quality of life through the transfer of research-based information to the program participants. Extension also works with a large group of volunteers to enhance programming and reach.
Under direct supervision, assists limited-income families in acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary for preparing a safe, cost-saving, nutritious meal plan. The principal emphasis is on conducting nutrition programs for limited-income families. Independent judgment and discretion are required.
- Serves as contact person for county program.
- Recruits and enrolls youth, families and volunteers for participation in the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP), SNAP-Ed and other similar programs.
- Instructs small groups using active learning strategies in basic nutrition, planning balanced meals, food preparation and food sanitation.
- Schedules workshops and individual training sessions to meet the needs of clientele.
- Adapts teaching methods and subject content to meet the needs, interests and abilities of each participant.
- Assists families in developing budgets to maximize food expenditures and other food resources (e.g., money, SNAP benefits, WIC vouchers, etc.).
- Follows federal program mandates, including participation data, and affirmative action guidelines.
- Participates in program in-service updates.
- Collects evaluation data and maintains the shared program spreadsheet; enters evaluation information and generates computer report using USDA reporting system; manages program reports.
- Interacts and cooperates with other Cooperative Extension units as well as public and private agencies serving the same or similar clients.
- Responsible for complying with university policies, procedures, and best practices regarding protecting data and following UD data governance rules
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED with three years of nutrition-related experience. Additional related education may be substituted for required experience.
- Familiar with health and social service agencies in the state of Delaware that serve limited-income families.
- Basic computer, math and instructional skills, and human relations skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds. Bilingual in Spanish is preferred.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures and backgrounds.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend