Sr PeopleSoft Application Programmer
Job no: 498868
College / VP Area: Vice President for IT
Work type: Staff
Categories: Information Technology, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 31S
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Enterprise Systems and Cloud Services (ESCS) supports the enterprise systems of the University which include the Human Resources, Student Information, and Financials systems in addition to central database, reporting, and fundraising systems. ESCS is responsible for the development of new and improved campus business practices and the support of core business systems that are critical to the University’s strategic plan and the institutional mission.
The ESCS Systems Specialist implements software development life cycle methodologies to enhance the University’s core ERP systems. Support includes development and customizations of applications and internal/external interfaces, maintenance, troubleshooting, production support and developing and writing queries for users. The incumbent works with users, PeopleSoft consultants, and other IT staff to prepare functional and technical requirements for application design and technical solutions. The incumbent provides off-hour, on-call production support of the core business system applications.
The Sr PeopleSoft Application Programmer in ESCS reports to the Associate Director.
The Systems Specialist family includes a progression of five steps from entry level (Systems Specialist I) to the most senior level (Systems Leader II). New members to the Systems Specialist family are hired into levels that are commensurate with their experience and educational background. Incumbents can progress to higher levels as their on-the-job experience and skill levels increase over time.
- Implements software development life cycle methodologies to enhance the University’s PeopleSoft Human Resources Management System (HRMS) system. Duties include: coordinate the development of applications to enhance the University’s PeopleSoft HRMS systems, including requirements analysis, design, development, integration, testing, and implementation; provide primary support for related modules such as Payroll, College Work Study, Human Resources, and the General Ledger interface; maintain PeopleSoft systems, including applying updates, patches, fixes and maintenance packs; improve performance of PeopleSoft batch programs, reports and online pages using techniques such as SQL tuning, database indexes, hints, statistics and explain plans; and develop SQR reports and write queries for users. Work includes planning, requirement analysis, design, development, integration, testing, implementation, maintenance, and documentation in accordance with ESCS policies and standards to enhance.
- Maintains PeopleSoft ERP systems. Applies, tests, and deploys tax updates, bundles, patches, fixes and maintenance packs released by PeopleSoft on a periodic basis using PeopleSoft change assistant, data mover, compare reports, system and database audit reports and release notes. Improves performance of PeopleSoft batch programs, reports and online pages using techniques like SQL tuning, database indexes, hints, statistics and explain plans.
- Plans, upgrades, and deploys new PeopleTools versions and PeopleSoft application versions using PeopleSoft upgrade assistant, fit-gap analysis, data conversion, system and database audits, performance & integration testing.
- Additional duties include: coordinate efforts to interface internal HR modules with external banking, financial, insurance, and state and federal systems using PeopleTools integration technologies; test programs to ensure they work properly and correct any problems encountered during testing; analyze and resolve production incidents; consult with users to determine needs, define problems, and recommend solutions; provide production support for the PeopleSoft HRMS systems and maintain the daily production schedule of PeopleSoft systems; review policies, procedures, and workflows to ensure that the best systems are implemented; assist junior ERP & Cloud Systems Specialists with solutions to complex problems; re-engineer business functions by evaluating requests for service; lead project meetings to discuss project problems and issues; help to develop statistical analysis and metrics/reports/data analysis using PeopleSoft Query/Cognos reporting tools; and act as a mentor to new employees in group.
- Tests programs to ensure they work properly and to determine that programs meet client needs. Corrects any problems encountered during testing. Develops statistical analysis and develops metrics/reports/data analysis using PeopleSoft Query/Cognos reporting tools.
- Develops, tests, deploys and documents PeopleSoft custom or delivered batch programs to interface with internal HR and Financials modules and with external banking, financial, insurance, and state and federal systems using PeopleTools integration technologies like integration broker, sqr process, application engine process, file layouts, component interfaces and UNIX shell scripting.
- Provides production support for the HRMS system and maintains the daily production schedule of PeopleSoft systems. Analyzes and resolves production incidents. Works with users and production control staff regarding schedule and problem resolution.
- Provides on call support for PeopleSoft systems. Analyzes and resolves production incidents. Works closely with management to ensure adherence to MIS policies and with users to determine their needs. Assists staff as needed.
- Consults with users to determine needs, clarify issues, define problems, develop specifications, and recommend solutions. Keeps clients updated on project status. Attends project meetings to discuss project problems and issues. Develops (SQR) reports and (PS) queries for users. Trains users and assist with help-line support.
- Re-engineers business functions by evaluating requests for service, reviews policies, procedures, and workflows to ensure that the best systems are implemented.
- Diagnoses and resolves data processing problems and user data entry errors and coordinate the work with other programmers, users, and units.
- Assists more junior Programmer/Analysts with solutions to complex problems.
- Develops an increasing familiarity with the many central business systems and interface applications of the institution. Learns a variety of languages, operating systems, security procedures and utilities. Remains current with latest technologies. Participates in internal and external training programs.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate working relationships with colleagues and users and follow University policies and procedures governing IT efforts. Ensures conformance to standards and quality control. Acts as mentor to new employees in group.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and four years of related work experience (experience such as a PeopleSoft Analyst/Developer, Systems/Applications Analyst/Developer, etc.) or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience. Or a master’s degree with 1 year of PeopleSoft Experience. A degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or Business is preferred.
- Experience with relevant PeopleSoft modules, PeopleTools core technologies (i.e. PeopleCode, Application designer, Application Engine, Component Interfaces, Workflow, Integration Broker, and File Layouts), PeopleSoft reporting technologies (i.e. PS Query and SQR), and PeopleSoft Upgrade/Change Assistant.
- Experience with techniques such as SQL tuning, database indexes, hints, statistics and explain plants, fit-gap analysis, data conversion, system and database audits, and performance and integration testing, to perform the required duties.
- Ability to specify, write and develop computer programs using a range of programming languages.
- Ability to plan, design, develop, implement, test, and modify applications and external application interfaces to meet specified needs.
- Proficiency with database design.
- Ability to troubleshoot and correct application problems.
- Analytical, evaluative, and objective critical thinking skills.
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, and a working knowledge of business systems principles.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical users.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend