Administrative Assistant IV - Biomedical Engineering
Job no: 496865
Work type: Staff
Categories: Engineering, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 28N
CONTEXT OF JOB:
Under limited direction of the Chair and the Business Administrator the Administrative Assistant IV provides multifaceted administrative support for 3 Biomedical Engineering sites. The principal responsibility of this position is anticipating, coordinating, and executing annual academic, recruiting, public relations, and development events for the Department with limited input from the Chairperson or Business Administrator. This position demands resourceful problem solving, tact and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Perform administrative duties accurately and in a timely manner; provide administrative support for 3 sites, Main Campus, BPI and STAR. The ability to travel between these sites to respond to faculty and department business is key to this position.
- Coordinate, schedule and manage all logistics (including travel and lodging as necessary) for Department meetings, functions, and annual and special events as well as student recruiting, distinguished speakers, special interest group speakers, faculty recruitment, potential graduate students, and student conference travel.
- Coordinate data compilation, information, execution, and creation of complex Department reports, surveys, strategic plans, special projects and other fact-finding initiatives for the Department Chairperson or Business Administrator.
- Coordinate and manage activities related to the Department’s Development and Alumni Relations initiatives, meetings, events, data collection and reporting
- Prepare agendas, take minutes and prepare summaries of staff meetings and monthly faculty meetings.
- Analyze, interpret, and recommend administrative practices and procedures; develop processes that facilitate cost savings for the Department.
- Reconcile the Department procurement card transactions; work closely with the College Business Office to ensure proper adherence to governing policies.
- Order office and lab supplies; maintain supply inventory for all sites.
- Coordinate and oversee all Departmental publicity initiatives, including independent design, implementation, and maintenance of content on the Department’s electronic marketing display and social media platforms.
- Provide photography and videography services when requested - focus on graduate recruitment marketing and conference display material. Additionally, provide photography services for lab exposure.
- Coordinate the participation and marketing of the department in a variety of special admissions events including Scholars’ Weekend, Decision Days, and Discovery Days for prospective students, parents, faculty, and others.
- Interpret and explain college and university policies and procedures, seek appropriate assistance for complex matters involving specialist advice.
- Monitor senior design purpose codes and maintain monthly statements to ensure compliance with established budget, being sensitive to the student project manager operation. This will include processing invoices to sponsors and reconciling purchases for projects.
- Monitor junior design purpose codes and maintain monthly statements to ensure compliance with established budget, this will include processing invoices to sponsors and reconciling purchases for projects.
- Manage the day-to-day administration of Senior Design and Junior Design expenses which will include accurate and timely ordering of requested design materials along with communication and direction to project teams. Develop streamlined ordering process as well as effective credit card transaction process for in-person purchases.
- Manage all aspects related to student and miscellaneous wage employee hires, including coordinating with College HR personnel and the Office of International Students and Scholars.
- Maintain Department personnel files, including time tracking for non-exempt employees. Edit and approve hours for student and miscellaneous employees using time tracking software.
- Manage miscellaneous wage administrative assistant duties when appropriate.
- Provide administrative support, as needed for the department’s reception office in BPI.
- Maintain Main Campus Biomedical Engineering Office presence and actively maintain reception area on Main Campus.
- Plan, organize, develop, and implement all annual student events such as New Student Orientation, Student Holiday Pot Luck, and the Year-end Awards Ceremony and Luncheon.
- Initiate web-based forms for department activities including but not limited to carpool, facility services and printing services for 3 all sites.
- Manage the distribution, inventory and return of building, Department and office keys; manage secure site key system at BPI building.
- Assist Graduate and Undergraduate Academic advisors as needed.
- Manage Department archives with responsibility for record retention processes.
- Report maintenance and equipment issues to safety personnel, facilities or outside vendors as requested.
- Manage donor gift records and processing of donor gift acknowledgements
- Maintain Department bulletin boards, distribution of announcements, etc. on STAR and Main Campus.
- Maintain internal and external contact lists including external advisory council, and others as needed to support specific programs, collaborations, group emails, etc.
- May require flexibility in work schedule - weekend, early morning, and evening hours.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma, Associate’s degree preferred, and five years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of office practices and procedures required.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments concurrently. Ability to direct work of miscellaneous wage employees.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, make independent decisions, and communicate in a timely manner critical information to pertinent personnel.
- Excellent verbal and written skills are essential.
- High degree of proactive organizational skills.
- Ability to use advanced techniques in word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software.
- Extensive knowledge of Excel, Word, Access.
- Event planning experience is required
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to handle sensitive material and information confidentially.
- Ability to work as a team player and help provide support during events and/or activities when necessary.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend