Clinical Computing Support Specialist II
Job no: 496766
Work type: Staff
Categories: Information Technology, Full Time
Pay Grade: 28S
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The University of Delaware’s College of Health Sciences located on the STAR Campus, operates three clinics that provide clinical training opportunities for students. These clinics, which operate under the umbrella of UD Health, include the Nurse Managed Primary Care Center, the Delaware Physical Therapy Clinic, and the Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic.
In order to provide patient care in an efficient, safe, and cost-effective manner, the clinics utilize Practice Management (PM) software for scheduling and billing and an Electronic Healthcare Record (EHR) for managing patient medical records. To provide the resources necessary for the functioning and maintenance of the PM and EHR software, and to ensure clinicians and practice staff have access to personnel trained to manage and support these applications and associated reporting, the College of the Health Sciences (CHS) has created a team focused on the day-to-day management of the applications and staff support.
The Computing Support Specialist reports to the Informatics Manager. The Computing Support Specialist responds to telephone calls, emails, and support ticket requests for NextGen PM and EHR application users including hardware, software, connectivity, and access/password reset requests. The Specialist identifies, researches, and resolves technical issues and user support requests, and documents, tracks and monitors requests and issues to ensure timely resolution. The Specialist follows escalation protocols to resolve issues requiring additional resources or expertise.
- Provide computer support to the Clinics.
- Ensure that desktop systems and file servers meet UD computing standards.
- Perform advanced troubleshooting and repair of hardware and software problems using a variety of resources.
- Analyze and resolve user problems.
- Repair and/or replace hardware components as necessary.
- Set up new desktop systems, configure for network, troubleshoot, and backup desktop systems and file servers.
- Develop training expertise and deliver programs to the departments.
- Educate users on virus protection, backups, security and responsible computing.
- Install and maintain all aspects of Active Directory Infrastructure (Group Policy, applications and services that rely on Active Directory).
- Provide technical support for University supported software products including internet browser, email program, and other systems. Instruct users on University procedures and policies for backups, security, and virus protection
- Be timely in responding to staff inquiries for assistance with software and/or hardware issues/problems.
- Serve as ordering contact for computer hardware, providing advice, interfacing with vendors and performing setup of new equipment/software.
- Act as the liaison between the end-user and central IT.
- Provide basic application support to the Clinics for NextGen PM/EHR and associated applications. Assist users with password resets, create new user accounts, and maintain access and security. Develop a working knowledge of the applications currently used in the Clinics, as well as the associated business processes.
- Assist with troubleshooting, problem resolution, and support during implementations, integrations, and upgrades of PM/EHR systems.
- Assist with assessing the feasibility of system enhancements or process changes and their impact on primary and ancillary systems.
- Monitor interfaces and workflows and transition issues to second level support, when needed.
- Document software defects for Manager and Analyst to address.
- Alert management of recurring problems, and recommend solutions based on system knowledge.
- Provide formal and ad-hoc NextGen PM/EHR education and training, including:
- Logging in procedures
- General navigation of NextGen application
- Customizing a user’s screen
- Introduction to administrative and clinical functionality
- Introduction to customized functionality that may be program specific
- Introduction to additional Nextgen Suite functionality (document imaging, fax integration, eRx integration etc.)
- Assist Application Analyst in creating help desk support procedures, user manuals, cheat sheets, bookmarks and Nextgen workflow documents.
- Provide on-site support when implementing new functionality, workflow, processes in Nextgen or implementing Nextgen for a new clinic.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in information technology, healthcare, business or related discipline and 2 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years’ experience working in a medical office setting is required.
- Must be self-motivated, organized, able to work independently and possess excellent computer skills.
- Experience working with PM/EHR systems, knowledge of medical record practices, medical terminology, HIPAA, and clinic workflows.
- Good communication skills.
- Able to train and lead staff.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend