Research Associate I, Medical & Molecular Sciences
Job no: 496600
Work type: Staff
Categories: Research & Laboratory, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 28N
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Research Associate will report to the Department Chair (Dr. Esther Biswas-Fiss) and will conduct and coordinate research in her research laboratory under her direction.
- Laboratory Management including carrying out research experiments, and supervision of laboratory workers.
- Maintain and catalog bacterial, insect and mammalian cell lines.
- Contribute to literature collection and review.
- Carry out molecular biology experiments, including cloning, analysis of DNA, site directed mutagenesis.
- Conduct experimental procedures (cloning, PCR, western blot, SDS-PAGE, recombinant protein expression in E. coli, insect and mammalian cell lines, in vitro ATPase assays, other enzyme assays, biophysical analysis) with guidance of PI.
- Analyze experimental data, prepare figures and reports for dissemination in journals, at conferences and group meetings.
- Oversee student researchers in the PIs absence and aid in the training of new laboratory workers.
- Maintain lab cleanliness and organization.
- Assure and maintain laboratory regulatory compliance documentation and assist during laboratory inspections by external regulatory agencies.
- Conduct necessary instrument QC/QA, schedule and oversee preventative maintenance or repair visits of instruments.
- Manage sterile media, plasticware and glassware.
- Supervise and carry out preparation of solutions and glassware.
- Assist with research on collaborative projects and assist PI to oversee the work of undergraduate/MS students in the lab.
- Order supplies and maintain inventory/budget of expenditures.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in the biological sciences or related field and one year related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of research procedures, data collection, and analysis.
- Ability to develop and follow research methodology and protocol.
- Ability to adapt standard procedures, facilities and/or equipment to meet specific operational needs.
- Ability to collaborate with students, faculty and/or staff in a team environment.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology and relevant scientific equipment, keep up to date of leading-edge developments in field.
- Prior experience in lab management and oversight of student researchers and/or laboratory teaching experience preferred.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend