Admissions Counselor, Admissions Office
Job no: 496545
Work type: Staff
Categories: Admissions, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 28N
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Admissions Department receives more than 28,000 first year and transfer student applications per year, hosts on-campus and off-campus recruitment events, and maintains a prospect list of nearly 300,000 students nationwide and throughout the world. Under general direction of an Associate Director, the Admissions Counselor delivers on-campus and off-campus admissions programs, reviews freshman and transfer applications for undergraduate admission, networks and builds relationship between high school counselors, prospective students, and parents.
- Advise students and families regarding educational opportunities and options, admission and other requirements, policies and procedures, transfer of credit, and financial assistance, as appropriate.
- Serve as a member of the Admissions Committee, review credentials, and make recommendations for admission decisions.
- Network and develop collaborative relationships with assigned high schools.
- Speak to groups and individual students, and meet with school officials to develop partnerships between the University and other institutions throughout an assigned geographic region.
- Serve as the primary contact and reader of applications for admission from students who attend those high schools.
- Represent the University of Delaware Admissions Office at evening college fairs, college nights, and admissions panels.
- Host off-campus receptions for prospective students and parents, and for high school counselors.
- Cultivate relationships with prospective students and their parents.
- Maintain communication with prospective students through all stages of the recruitment and admission process.
- Develop and deliver on-campus information sessions, including some Saturday and Sunday sessions.
- Interview prospective students and candidates for admission.
- Participate and provide support to UD Colleges in their on-campus recruitment programs and yield activities.
- Conduct admissions recruitment travel as assigned. Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree and two years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Effective written and oral communication and organizational skills required.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is desirable.
- Strong presentation skills required.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge of student recruitment, retention issues and admissions standards is expected.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently as a team member to achieve common goals is expected.
- Proficient computer skills and use of presentation software required.
- Some weekend and evening work required.
- Valid drivers license and regular access to private reliable means of transportation required. During the spring and fall, position will require travel, weekends and extended hours.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend