Research Associate III
Job no: 496390
College / VP Area: College of Educ & Human Dev
Work type: Staff
Categories: Research & Laboratory, Full Time
Context of the Job:
This project is a partnership between the University of Delaware (UD) and the Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) to build sustainable capacity towards the implementation of computer science standards in grades 3-5. There are three key goals for this work: (a) adapt an already promising professional development (PD) program to help teachers in grades 3-5 build knowledge of computational thinking content and pedagogy; (b) address issues of equity by focusing on culturally-responsive content and pedagogy as well as impacts of computing on local communities; (c) build capacity in teachers for the development and pilot testing of interdisciplinary computational thinking modules in literacy and math. Under limited direction of the Director, the Research Associate III will collaborate on efforts to design and conduct professional development for teachers, conduct research in schools, develop ideas, analyze data, and disseminate findings. This position provides an excellent platform for acquiring the skills necessary for conducting research in authentic school settings and gaining experience in research-practice partnerships. This position is funded by the National Science Foundation and is for one year with the possibility for renewal.
- Designing and implementing professional development for teachers on the integration of computational activities in grades 3-5.
- Serve as a liaison between UD, local department of education, and districts.
- Working with schools and teachers to organize research and implementation activities.
- Managing and participating in data collection in schools.
- Analyzing quantitative and qualitative data.
- Preparing and making conference presentations.
- Collaborating on manuscript preparation.
- Assisting with management of IRB processes.
- Performing other research-related activities as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and at least four years directly related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Doctoral degree in relevant fields such as learning sciences, instructional technology, or computer science highly preferred.
- Strong interest in school-based work and collaboration with practitioners.
- Experience working with teachers in professional development settings.
- Experience programming and/or teaching with block-based programming.
- Demonstrated interest in computing and computing education, with a commitment to equity for all learners.
- Proficiency in research methods, including design-based research, and data analysis platforms (qualitative and quantitative).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Strong ethic and commitment to educational research.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend