Research Associate I, Biological Sciences (Cytochrome)
Job no: 494680
Work type: Staff
Categories: Research & Laboratory, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 28N
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under the general direction of the Principal Investigator, the Research Associate performs research to study the mechanisms of heme trafficking, modification and attachment in prokaryotic cytochrome c biogenesis. Research Associate may work individually or as part of team to conduct research using standardized laboratory protocols or to develop/improve protocols. The Research Associate will maintain a notebook describing experimental methods and results, analyze and interpret research results, and participate in research discussions. Additionally, the Research Associate will assist with lab management duties such as ordering, inventory and ensuing compliance with all university policies.
- Plan, organize, and conduct research on recombinantly expressed and affinity purified proteins.
- Operate basic laboratory equipment (centrifuges, sonicator, pH meters, analytical balances, and gel documentation systems).
- Perform biochemical techniques including protein expression, protein purification, protein analysis, heme stain, UV-vis spectroscopy.
- Willingness to learn new techniques, take initiative and pivot when research priorities change
- Provide technical assistance to others in the lab as needed.
- Maintain laboratory stocks, records and strains.
- Maintain an inventory of lab supplies and equipment, reorder lab supplies, and track new orders of equipment and supplies.
- Comply with Department of Environmental Health and Safety, OSHA, and biohazard safety standards and promote workplace safety.
- Participate in laboratory meetings and presents scientific projects at departmental meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or other related field and one year of experience.
- Strong organization and time-management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects/tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and contribute to a team environment
- Ability to interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to promote a positive working environment
- Knowledge of standard microbiology/biochemical principles and research methods
- Knowledge of the use and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Knowledge and skill working with Microsoft suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) for data management and summation. Experience with GraphPad Prism, Adobe Illustrator a plus
- Work environment may include working in a cold room for short periods of time.
- Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
- Without assistance, must be able to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Requires dexterity in handling delicate and hazardous materials.
- The ability to accurately discern colors and measure laboratory materials.
- Must be able to work various and sometimes long hours due to the timing on experiments, including possibly weekends and evenings.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend