Material Handling Coordinator, Research Office
Job no: 494670
Work type: Staff
Categories: Research & Laboratory, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 27N
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Delaware Biotechnology Institute (DBI) is an interdisciplinary research unit at the University of Delaware. The vision is to create a better future through leadership in life science research. Most, of DBI’s activities involve molecular and cellular studies of living systems and many, but not all, of the research activities involve partnerships with other institutions in the region. DBI’s mission is to promote research, education, and technology transfer for biotechnology applications to the benefit of the environment, agriculture, and human health. DBI fosters a collaborative and cutting–edge research environment, encourages innovation and technology transfer, and supports ground-breaking discoveries to benefit the environment, agriculture, and human health. DBI staff will be committed to being proactive in solving problems, serving the needs of the faculty and research groups that rely on DBI, and performing all duties efficiently, with careful attention to detail, and with priority on issues that support the Institute's mission and the team. Primary responsibilities will be on STAR Campus at the Ammon Pinizzotto Biopharmaceutical Innovation Center.
- Receives, inspects, and unloads incoming supplies and equipment. Returns shipments for end users when necessary.
- Checks received items for damage. Logs in damages and notifies end-users.
- Moves received chemical supplies and gas cylinders to their respective holding areas.
- Ensures safe storage of chemicals, perishables, and other items for pickup by end-users.
- Notifies building end-users when deliveries arrive.
- Maintains a package tracking, notification, and internal delivery system.
- Manages receiving and proper storage of materials for the Life Tech supply center. Notifies appropriate recipients when packages arrive and where they are located in the center.
- Maintains loading dock, receiving area and storage areas as clean, uncluttered, and safe work environments.
- Ensures loading dock equipment is in proper working condition.
- Responsible for oversight of safety training and safe use of loading dock.
- Oversees Chemical Safety Program including assisting with quarterly building safety meetings and laboratory inspections.
- Oversees Chemical Inventory system including submission of annual inventory per EHS requirements.
- Responsible for preparing updates of written procedures for the Toxic Gas Monitoring Systems (TGMS) coordinating with the Chemical Hygiene program, and associated processes, as well as providing associated system training.
- Monitors chemical waste storage room’s inventory activity (each generator is responsible for bringing their waste to the storage room); coordinates chemical waste drop-offs by end-users and chemical and biological waste pick-ups by EHS.
- Perform safety preventive maintenance on lab eyewash, SCBA tanks, and personal protective equipment stations.
- Maintains gas cylinder inventory and monthly gas cylinder location and billing reports.
- Coordinate refills, manages dispensing system, and performs metering for Liquid Nitrogen and CO2 systems.
- Respond to hazmat spills and coordinate response efforts prior to EHS arrival.
- Prepares work reports in accordance with standard operating procedures; maintains time and material records.
- Uses computer to access e-mail, receive work instructions, monitor and respond to service requests through DBI Help and other administrative information.
- Communicates daily using a phone and/or text cell system in order to respond to work-related routine and emergency information.
- In coordination with the building manager, responds to help/service requests.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED and three years of job-related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments concurrently.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Effective interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
- Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments, analyze and solve problems, and prioritize, plan and organize work.
- Requires the ability to lift and move, with or without assistance, delivery boxes and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Must be available during non-business hours to occasionally assist with special department events as assigned.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend