Business Analyst, Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
Job no: 494591
Work type: Staff
Categories: Venture Development/ Entrepreneurial, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 30E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Mission of the Office of Economic Innovation and Partnerships (OEIP) is to (1) develop social and economic value from UD’s knowledge-based assets by advancing UD’s intellectual property, inventions and technologies from the laboratory to the market place through partnerships and collaborations, (2) promote innovation and entrepreneurship within and without the University community and (3) provide leadership in the creation and growth of small businesses in Delaware.
The Delaware Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is a unit of OEIP. Its mission is to strengthen Delaware’s economic base by providing quality management assistance, education programs and resources to Delaware’s business community.
Under the general direction of the Associate Director OEIP / State Director SBDC, the business advisor will provide in-depth business consultative services, to pre-venture entrepreneurs, recently formed companies and established small businesses seeking to start, expand, diversify, or attract new capital investment.
- Educate and advise clients on how to start, operate and sustain successful business ventures through prescribed SBDC consulting policies and practices.
- Provide one-on-one consulting as needed on topics including (but not limited to): financial analysis, management, and planning; business plan development; market research; business management and operations; marketing; human resources; and legal issues.
- Create financial projections and models.
- Assist client with loan/grant applications and packaging.
- Participate in the development, promotion, coordination and delivery of small business management training programs and workshops, conferences, events and special services.
- Market the capabilities of the SBDC to the internal and external community through participation in outreach activities including meetings, training events, and presentations.
- Ensure timely entry/submission of all case management data and outcomes necessary for required reporting to stakeholders, along with success stories for publicity.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Marketing, or related field and three years of experience in business management or business consulting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in entrepreneurship, small business management and operations, accounting and financial analysis, marketing, market research, marketing tools and tactics, human resource management, and legal issues.
- In-depth knowledge of finance/financial management, financial modeling/projections, capital formation, financial lending procedures and other elements essential to growing a successful business across a variety of industries.
- Proven track record as an entrepreneur, small business owner or consultant to small businesses.
- Knowledge of Delaware’s economy and entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use critical thinking skills to problem solve.
- Ability to analyze and research issues and work with others toward a solution.
- Independent, resourceful, self-starter with strong organizational skills; ability to manage large client portfolio and manage time effectively.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policies, procedures and data to make independent decisions and judgments in keeping with the position level.
- Proficient computer skills including experience with spreadsheets, accounting software, and data management systems.
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours.
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend