Manager, Health IT
Job no: 499747
College / VP Area: Vice President for IT
Work type: Staff
Categories: Information Technology, Full Time
SALARY GRADE: 32S
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
IT Client Support & Services is often the first point of contact for students, faculty members, and staff members seeking help with technology. IT-CS&S focuses on helping the UD community use technology effectively and efficiently. IT-CS&S staff members also take the lead supporting productivity, computing applications and tools, and assist with hardware and software issues. The unit is composed of the following groups: Client Engagement, Client Services, ID Card Services, Distributed IT, IT Service Management and IT Communications.
The Manager, Health IT will provide leadership and direction to the IT-CS&S Health IT Team. The Health IT team is tasked with leading support for the clinics within the University of Delaware’s College of Health Sciences and the Wellbeing units within the University’s Division of Student Life. In order to provide patient care in an efficient, safe, and cost-effective manner, the clinics and Student Wellbeing units utilize Practice Management (PM) software for scheduling and billing and an Electronic Healthcare Record (EHR) for managing patient medical records. To provide the resources necessary for the functioning and maintenance of the PM and EHR software, and to ensure clinicians and practice staff have access to personnel trained to manage and support these applications and associated reporting, UDIT has created a team focused on the day-to-day management of the applications and staff support.
The Manager, Health IT will report to the Assistant VP, IT Client Support & Services and will work closely with the departments that the Health IT team supports. Under the direction of the Assistant VP, IT Client Support & Services, this position provides leadership, coordination and subject matter expertise across all aspects of the ambulatory care information management spectrum including but not limited to: data governance, change control, standardization, security /privacy and related infrastructure, validation and testing, maintenance, analysis quality and output of both the clinical and revenue cycle components of PM and EHR. To excel in this role must have strong organizational skills and be able to communicate effectively with University Executives, clinical and revenue cycle end users and vendors.
- Manage, strategize, and maintain PM and EHR applications and data.
- Provide leadership and day-to-day supervision to the UDIT Health IT Team. This includes managing assignments, outputs, and performance evaluations of the Application Analyst and IT Support staff within the UDIT Health IT team.
- Participate in CHS/Clinical IT Steering Committee Meetings.
- Develop and manage Clinical IT Change Control process to cover both content and IT system updates.
- Facilitate Change Management Committee meeting and agendas.
- Ensure tracking and communication of change requests.
- Provide oversight of testing related to change requests.
- Ensure and document end user training, as needed.
- Collaborate with the HIPAA Privacy Officer, the HIPAA Security Officer, and the UD Information Security Government, Risk and Compliance group to develop, maintain, and ensure systems policies and procedures for PM and EHR are compliant and consistent with legal requirements, University policies, standards and procedures, and include:
- Security Roles and Responsibilities
- User Access
- Audit tracking
- Coordinate with CHS Compliance, Wellbeing, the Office of General Council, and IT Security to help ensure system integrity and compliance with applicable regulations and internal protocols.
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of strategic plans for enhancing and supporting the mission of the College of Health Science Clinics and the division of Student Life.
- Monitor technologic and regulatory changes which may impact the ambulatory care setting to meet changing needs.
- Review and approve current and proposed PM and EHR content and workflows to ensure application and clinical/revenue cycle best practice are being followed.
- Manage the master library, HIE, Rosetta and other system interfaces.
- Work with vendors and the Application Analysts to appropriately maintain the health records systems.
- Provide backup and support for the Application Analysts.
- Assist with the design and development of customized templates and other documentation tools and reports to optimize end user workflows, standardization of practice processes, and to meet regulatory requirements.
- Document workflow processes and standard operating procedures to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Ensure system configuration and set up are aligned with industry and vendor best practices.
- Participate in defining end user security roles and protection of information.
- Conduct system testing for upgrades and changes, as needed.
- Assist in the review of testing scripts which reflect scenarios which test both system and process changes.
- Ensure clinical and revenue cycle participation in testing.
- Track testing results.
- Document system or process risks and communicate them to the CHS/Clinical IT Steering Committee.
- Test and monitor related interfaces and modules as well as integrated systems and devices.
- Provide oversight of ongoing system and process optimization. Monitor and troubleshoot system issues.
- Ensure training and education requirements for system access are maintained and updated.
- Manage relationships with college staff, Student Wellbeing staff, and PM/EHR vendor and affiliated vendors.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in the field of healthcare, computer science, or information technology and six years' experience working in IT, preferably in the healthcare industry; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Understanding of HIPAA, ambulatory EHR technologies, and healthcare applications
- Leadership experience in a dynamic environment
- Experience with managing multiple IT projects.
- Strong ability to interact with both technical and non-technical end users. Can interpret requests from non-technical users, guide them in what is technically feasible, and create outcome which both fulfills the need but is also feasible given financial and man-hour limitations.
- Knowledge of interface and interoperability standards
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Understand application integration capabilities with a working knowledge of revenue cycle and clinical workflows preferred.
- Experience with HL7, Crystal Reports, or other reporting software preferred.
- Experience working with a Business Intelligence tool preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend