Senior Associate Director, Student Involvement
Job no: 494218
Work type: Staff
Categories: Student Affairs & Services, Full Time
Context of the Job:
The University Student Centers (USC) cultivate a vibrant, inclusive, community in which students learn and thrive at the University of Delaware. As part of the Division of Student Life, the Trabant University Center and the Perkins Student Center serve as the social and educational epicenters for the campus, providing vibrant and intentionally planned engagement opportunities that support USCs’ learning outcomes, but also those of the Division of Student Life and the overall educational aims of UD, as articulated by the General Education purposes and objectives. The USC team affords every student a path to contribute to the campus community and heighten their sense of belonging through on-campus employment opportunities, nationally recognized leadership development programs, over 400 Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) and dynamic and engaging campus events and traditions. The unique cross-functional nature of the department, which includes facilities, events, student organizations, and leadership programs, necessitates that each professional staff member pursues cross-unit collaborations and partnerships, as well as assumes some cross-functional duties and roles, such aa opening/closing the facility based on event coverage; rotating evening-duty, serving as a professional advisor to RSOs, and providing programmatic support for department and divisional events. Collectively and through collaboration, USC team members play a critical role in actualizing the Division of Student Life mission and vision.
Under the limited direction of the Director, the Senior Associate Director for Student Involvement is responsible for providing strategic leadership and direction in the training and advisement for 450+ Registered Student Organizations (RSOs), oversight of the University of Delaware Programming Board, and development and implementation of major event and traditions initiatives. Together, these three University Student Center units offer hundreds of co-curricular programs, campus-wide activities which facilitate a sense of belonging, engagement, campus vibrancy and pride for all Blue Hens. RSOs and the University of Delaware Programming Board members execute 350+ contracts annually and generate in excess of 1,200 checks in the development of programs and events to support student engagement and campus vibrancy.
With a budget of $2 million, the Senior Associate Director oversees major program initiatives including concerts, major festivals, community service initiatives, films, trips, cultural events, lectures, and traditional and historic events. The portfolio of this position includes several of Universities’ premiere high-profile events including Student Homecoming Week, Parent and Family Weekend Featured Events, Senior Days events, USC Celebrate Series, Trabant Now, Perkins Live, Spring Involvement Fair, Welcome Weekend Events, Campus Breakout, and UD on Stage.
- Ensure a comprehensive and student-centered approach to advising, service-delivery, and leadership development for student organization members and officers which maximizes student learning and decision-making in the design and implementation of events and activities, training programs, and policies and procedures.
- Develop policies, procedures and systems for training of staff and student leaders to develop programs and activities that are intentional, inclusive, creative, and responsive to the changing needs of students, RSOs and the student programming board. Seek student feedback to inform decisions, maximize engagement and ensure that spaces are welcoming and support creativity, innovation and respond to the changing needs of students, RSOs and the student programming board.
- Develop, direct, implement and evaluate policies and procedures governing student organizations; selection and training of officers and board members; program and event planning, student travel, and the allocation of student organization funding.
- At the designation of the Director, the Senior Associate Director has authority and is responsible for reviewing, signing, and approving contracts efficiently and expeditiously, while ensuring adherence to department, procurement, and University policies and standards.
- Recruit, employ, train, supervise, establish performance standards, and evaluate professional and student staff six professional staff, a part-time (miscellaneous wages) staff member and 12 student staff.
- Oversee the annual Fall Student Involvement Fair featuring more than 500 student organizations and departments and attracting approximately 6,000 students.
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Associate Director of Facilities and Event Operations, University of Delaware Police Department and Environmental Health & Safety in developing crowd and emergency-response action plans for large-scale institutional festivals and events.
- Responsible for the development of training programs and workshops for student organization officers (including Allocation Board members) to ensure they develop leadership skills and competencies to fulfill their roles.
- Design, establish and maintain structure and appropriate staffing to effectively accomplish the goals of the unit.
- Responsible for creating and regularly reviewing policies, procedures and training materials regarding event and facility management, risk management, and financial management as it pertains to student travel, contracts, vendors and events.
- Manage revenue streams from fundraising, ticket sales, reserve accounts, and student fee and ensures compliance with University financial policies for purchasing, account reconciliation, contracts, etc. Provide training and advisement to student leaders with responsibility for the allocation of $1,000,000 to student organizations. Directs the development of policies and procedures pertaining to student organization funding, financial policies, risk management and tiered insurance requirements.
- Responsible for the development and coordination of the student online ticketing systems (similar to TicketMaster) and develop financial reports and tracking systems for associated events.
- Develop, organize, manage and implement short and long-range strategies for student engagement in accordance with the USC mission, Student Life initiatives, and University strategic plan.
- Develop strategic, collaborative partnerships with other University departments in Student Life, Academic Departments, Athletics, Development and Alumni Relations, UDPD, Risk Management, and Purchasing / Accounting / Business, and Dining Services in the advisement of students and delivery of creative, innovative programs, and large-scale institutional events.
- Provide facility-related support during large-scale events and campus emergencies.
- Serve on the Senior Leadership team of the University Student Centers, assuming key roles in department decision-making through a participative leadership approach in meeting the mission and goals of the department.
- Facilitate student understanding of the financial model of the Trabant University Center and Perkins Student Center and the importance of effective and creative utilization of spaces to promote campus vibrancy.
- Lead and direct assessment and data collection initiatives pertaining to student organization development and program and event management utilizing Divisional assessment tools (Qualtrics) to ensure learning outcomes are achieved.
- Ensure compliance with University financial, facilities, and risk management policies and procedures.
- Support the work and mission of the Division of Student Life through committees, task forces and special assignments and represent the Director of USC at meetings, programs, events, and other activities as determined.
- Serve on-call for evening events as part of rotational team to support student staff and provide a new lens and perspective about facility operations, students, events and programs to inform training programs and services.
- Write reports, provide research, and fulfill other projects as assigned by the Director.
- Master’s degree in higher education, student personnel, or counseling and at least 6 years of experience in student organization advisement, development of campus events and activities or similar experience within a diverse and inclusive student-oriented environment required or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Effective leadership skills with a background in leadership/student development theories.
- Experience in supervising employees, maintaining budgets, contract negotiation, and event production.
- Knowledge and understanding of the philosophies of student unions/student centers.
- Excellent time management, long range planning, mediation, written and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a diverse population and a variety of cultures.
- Familiarity with computer-based communications.
- Knowledge of principles and procedures of student government, organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures, financial business analyst techniques, student support programs and services, fraternity/sorority systems, culture and conventions, student development theory and student personnel administration, and customer service standards and procedures.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to supervise and train assigned staff including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to foster a cooperative environment.
- Ability to plan, organize and direct multiple programs and activities.
- Ability to recruit, train, supervise and motivate volunteers.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend