Digital Communications Specialist
Job no: 494015
Work type: Staff
Categories: Full Time, Communications & Public Relations
PAY GRADE: 30E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under the general direction of the Director of Environmental Public Education Office, the Digital Communications Specialist develops and implements a comprehensive digital communications program in support of the missions of the University of Delaware’s College of Earth, Ocean and Environment, and the Delaware Sea Grant College Program. The Specialist is responsible for the creation of multimedia products, web pages and social media to increase public awareness, understanding and appreciation of environmental resources, issues and research. The Specialist works with faculty, staff, University and community partners to develop creative and innovative content for a variety of communications platforms; repurpose content from a variety of internal and external sources for multi-platform distribution; and monitor digital traffic to ensure online content is reaching target audiences.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of a digital communications program to enhance the understanding of science and environmental topics by target audiences, including but not limited to prospective undergraduate and graduate students; K-12 students and teachers; community members with an interest in marine, earth and environmental science; and policy makers at local, state and federal levels.
- Develop, coordinate and/or implement the overall concepts and content of electronic communications and outreach efforts. Products include multimedia-integrated exhibits, multimedia productions, social media, e-newsletters, websites and web versions of printed materials. Solicit faculty and administrative input. Write and edit text in style appropriate to intended audience. Work closely with graphic designer, writer and production coordinator to integrate graphics and textual elements, set production schedule, meet deadlines and review proofs.
- Produce compelling digital content for the college and Sea Grant websites, social media channels and displays by interviewing faculty, students, alumni and community partners; writing featured content and scripts; capturing/editing still images; and/or creating video and audio clips.
- Collaborate with Information Technology staff on the development and maintenance of college and Sea Grant websites.
- Provide support to faculty, graduate students and staff who need help updating webpages or digital media, while building their capability to make further changes independently.
- Implement a robust, effective social media presence for the college and Sea Grant in collaboration with Environmental Public Education colleagues. Think strategically and apply market techniques to increase visibility, boost traffic, engage with constituents and measure impact of efforts. Platforms include Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Track and report analytics, demonstrating the effectiveness of ongoing campaigns.
- Ensure that all digital communications efforts and products meet University and EPEO standards for quality and audience comprehension.
- Provide photo, video and social media support during events, maintain our digital media library and manage our media release policy.
- Collaborate with the EPEO Director to integrate Delaware Sea Grant digital communications with those of the National Sea Grant Office and other local Sea Grant programs as appropriate.
- Supervise college work study and/or miscellaneous wage personnel as needed.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and three years job related experience, or equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Degree in interactive media, broadcast journalism, communications, journalism, English, education or other related discipline preferred.
- Experience in developing science-related digital communications efforts for non-science populations or the general public preferred.
- Experience interpreting research results, consulting with scientific investigators, andtranslating research findings to the appropriate clientele.
- Knowledge of science communication principles, media, and public education techniques.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at a given time and to establish and meet deadlines in a productive manner.
- Knowledge of proofreading and appropriate style guides.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite software, web content-management systems (WordPress and Adobe Experience Manager preferred), video and photo editing tools, social media platforms.
- Experience with video storyboarding, filming, editing and sharing through other digital platforms and assets.
- Experience shooting and editing video and still photography for digital sharing.
- Awareness and knowledge of local and regional environmental topics and species are preferred.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend