Job no: 499881
College / VP Area: Vice President for IT
Work type: Staff
Categories: Information Technology, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 31S
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Management Information Services (IT-MIS) supports the enterprise systems of the University, including the Human Resources, Student Information, and Financial systems, in addition to central database and data warehouse systems. IT-MIS is responsible for development of new and improved campus business practices and the support of core business systems that are critical to the University's strategic plan and institutional mission. IT-MIS is one of several groups within the larger organization of Information Technologies.
Database Administrators provide database support for the core business computing systems and by participating in the needs analysis, specification, acquisition, design, development and maintenance of the institutional databases.
The Data Administration family includes a progression of three steps from entry level (Database Administrator I) to the most senior level (Supervisor, Database Administrator III). Database Administrators will be hired into levels that are commensurate with their experience and educational background. Incumbents can progress to higher levels as their on-the-job experience and skill levels increase over time.
The DBA III reports directly to the Data Systems Manager.
- Oversees the administration of database systems (Oracle and MS SQL) including performing security risk assessment, protecting data integrity and security, conducting performance tuning and backup/recovery. Implements and participates in the change management process. Manages installation of software, patches and upgrades, maintenance and support of critical database resources. Maintains and implements Oracle critical security patches and updates, as well as software version upgrades, to ensure all known database vulnerabilities are resolved and the software is kept in line with industry standards. Provides technical documentation for systems including all implemented customizations and interfaces. Ensures highest system availability and optimal performance.
- Supervises business system analysis and database design services to modify existing systems and develop new systems. Designs institutional data models and data structures. Facilitates database design meetings and documents outcomes.
- Collaborates with the Data Base Administration, Application Programmer and Network & Systems Support teams to develop and support new and current database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Determines and specifies user data requirements, prototype and document these needs. Writes software customizations to meet client needs by adding functionality to enhance systems. Tests programs to ensure they work properly and determines that programs meet client’s needs. Resolves problems encountered during testing. Designs and writes reports as needed by customers.
- Oversees the production support of several institutional databases. Provides advanced level technical support to customers troubleshooting complex problems including user interfaces, databases and related server hardware and software. Provides on-call support to critical systems.
- Leads the research and evaluation, makes purchase recommendations, and implements applicable hardware and software for IT security. Regularly checks for new security best practices and known vulnerabilities in applicable software.
- Serves as a technical expert resource to Associate Director, Director, VP, and IT colleagues. Has an expert-level understanding of the business systems of the institution and associated data requirements and has mastered a variety of database design methods, security procedures and utilities. Participates in external training programs and provides instruction for internal training programs. Maintains knowledge and skills with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology. Researches and evaluates future technologies and solutions.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate working relationships with colleagues and clients and follows University and department policies and procedures governing IT efforts. Contributes to the planning, leadership, and support regarding technical initiatives and innovative solutions. Works within the department’s overall strategic plan following project priorities and scope. Meets deadlines and achieves goals.
- Maintains, monitors, and supports PeopleSoft components such as WebLogic, Tuxedo, Process Scheduler, Integration Broker, and Application Messaging.
- Applies routine & critical updates using PUM and change assistant.
- Installs and configures PeopleTools components like Integration Broker, Interaction Hub, Elastic Search.
- Sets up and configures integration broker gateway, services, service operations, queues, routings, and application messages for internal and external integrations.
- Installs new PeopleSoft environments and refresh non-production PeopleSoft environments.
- Monitors system performance and administration of services for all PeopleSoft environments.
- Troubleshoots development and production application problems across multiple environments and operating platforms.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in information technology or related field and five years of effective data base administration experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience with the Oracle RDBMS, particularly in the areas of database security, auditing, RMAN, Data Guard, DAM tools and Oracle Enterprise Manager.
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principals and practices.
- Ability to conduct research into database and security issues and products and translate findings into workable solutions to implement.
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity, performance, locking, deadlocking, replication, log, connectivity, and security issues, etc.
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux, especially in writing and modifying server-based database scripts.
- Proficient programming skills using technologies such as UNIX scripting, SQL coding, and PL/SQL.
- Experience supporting mission critical highly reliable systems.
- Knowledge of best practices regarding installation, configuration and administration of IT systems including security and protection of sensitive data.
- Knowledge of PCI-DSS standards.
- Analytical skills including the ability to reverse-engineer current process to extend functionality and automate the current process.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to audiences of all levels.
- Ability to make independent decisions.
- Demonstrated understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend