UDaily Writer, Office of Communications and Marketing
Job no: 497361
Work type: Staff
Categories: Communications & Public Relations, Full Time
Pay Grade: 30E
Context of the Job:
The UDaily Writer at the University of Delaware is a valued member of the University and the Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM). OCM is dedicated to developing strategies that will continue to elevate UD as a premier research institution, help attract the brightest students and most distinguished faculty and highlight that talent for our many constituencies.
Under the general direction of the Managing Editor, the UDaily Writer is responsible for researching and writing enterprise news and feature stories that build community and enhance the visibility and accomplishments of the students, faculty and staff of the University of Delaware. The writer will support major strategic initiatives of the University and help propel initiatives forward through active content generation. The position will translate research and interviews into clear and engaging news articles and features for UDaily, the University’s online news platform. The writer will also develop information campaigns across the digital (web, video, social media) and print spectrum.
This position requires collaboration internally with OCM’s functional teams, as well as with the University’s nine colleges and numerous administrative offices and departments. The writer will be the main beat reporter for administrative news, Board of Trustee actions, commencement, diversity initiatives, human resource functions, facilities and other initiatives as assigned.
- Searches for original content across the campus and brings interesting stories to life that help build the brand for the University of Delaware.
- Researches, writes, edits and produces a variety of strategic communications projects, including articles for UDaily and other University outlets, including social media platforms.
- Develops content for University websites.
- Works with art directors, photographers and videographers at UD to develop collateral such as videography/photography, animations, infographics and artwork to support articles on UDaily.
- Participates in development of UDaily’s communications calendar for internal strategic planning.
- Participates in mentoring student interns working on research writing, web and social media projects.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and four years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Degree in English, Journalism, Communications or related discipline preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in news writing for general audiences.
- Advanced technical proficiency in word processing and basic Office software required, technical proficiency in content management systems particularly Adobe Experience Manager and in the Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Knowledge of Associated Press (AP) stylebook.
- Effective interpersonal skills and an ability to interact with professors, graduate/undergraduate students and fellow staff of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work effectively with a range of creative professional colleagues, including photographers, art directors, videographers and graphic designers.
- Experience and interest in creative use of internet-based journalism and social media.
- Ability to work independently, attention to detail, ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues both within OCM and across the University.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend