Communications Specialist II, College of Health Sciences
Job no: 496809
Work type: Staff
Categories: Communications & Public Relations, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 30E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under the general direction of the Director of Communications for the College of Health Sciences the Communications Specialist leads the effort to engage with a wide variety of constituents via print, video, web-based, and social media. Independently writes, edits, and proofreads content for the web, print, and other communication strategy and develops content as part of the College's admissions efforts. Stays fully abreast of communications trends and mediums and provides insight and recommendations to the programs in this area. The Communications Specialist will also work with the University Office of Communications and Marketing on UD design and brand standards relative to external communication efforts. The Communications Specialist works with all levels of office staff to develop and implement effective communications systems for essential functions including administrative processes, educational, and engagement initiatives.
- In partnership with the Director of Communications, support the Development and execution of, communications plans focused on elevating the national reputation of the College of Health Sciences and attracting prospective students to apply for and accept admission into CHS programs of study
- Coordinate with the Office of Communications and Marketing to develop press releases of upcoming major events and to publish articles following the events.
- Analyze and implement appropriate trends in social media, public relations, and communications for large scale outreach for program awareness, updates, and recruitment.
- Develop online presence, tools and resources for the programs to showcase best practices, highlight research and to encourage scientific and educational collaborations.
- Collaborate with program staff to highlight program accomplishments through the web page and through the Office of Communications and Marketing.
- Support the development of strategies to heighten public awareness of the programs at a state, regional and national level.
- Maintain a current level of knowledge of all relevant University of Delaware policies related to external communications, branding, and marketing.
- Support the development of additional communications resources as necessary.
- Support the development of marketing plans and presentation materials.
- Create promotional materials for annual conferences.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of best practices for the use of social media in providing support to operation and activities.
- Develop working relationships and collaborations with college faculty staff, Office of Communications and Marketing staff, and partner organizations to support the creation and dissemination of relevant stories.
- Organize and participate in press conferences and specialized outreach events for a range of audiences, including high-level participants, the public, students, or educators.
- Perform job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related field and three years job related experience.
- Experience writing about health care, science, education, and/or public policy preferred.
- Marketing, branding, and communication background as well as experience in event planning and public speaking preferred.
- Effective oral, written, presentation, and interpersonal skills and ability to present scientific research for lay audiences.
- Demonstrated experience with social media outlets (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) as a professional tool is required.
- Ability to compose and edit written materials.
- Ability to perform editorial research.
- Ability to plan and implement promotional programs, and to develop and deliver multimedia presentations required.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office/PowerPoint and database experience
- Advanced knowledge and experience with online social media and e-communication is preferred.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as effectively in teamwork situations within a diverse university community.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities. Must possess organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively with a range of scientific and creative professional colleagues, including senior faculty, scientific and technical professionals, students, photographers, art directors, videographers, and graphic designers.
- Experience integrating social media efforts into broader media and marketing strategies preferred.
- Experience writing and editing for social channels, and developing editorial calendars preferred.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend