Security Officer- University of Delaware Police Department
Job no: 496718
Work type: Staff
Categories: Public Safety, Security, & Emergency Services, Full Time
Pay Grade: 26N
Context of the Job:
Under general supervision, serves as a uniformed member of the University of Delaware Police Department performing routine and diverse duties at University locations throughout the State of Delaware requiring independent judgment in the application of prescribed procedures and methods related to University services, traffic control and law enforcement duties at designated locations; takes corrective and/or enforcement action as required in accordance with established laws, regulations and procedures; requires the exercise of tactful and assertive interpersonal communication skills.
Based on divisional assignment, primary responsibilities are assigned as follows:
Main or Satellite Campus:
- Performs escorts: transports students, staff and guests to on- and off-campus locations.
- Renders first aid; transports sick, injured or otherwise disabled persons.
- Patrols the campus to ensure the security of facilities and the safety of students, staff and visitors; prevents and deters crime by observation and confrontation of unusual circumstances or individuals; locks or unlocks buildings; notifies supervisors of security defects, hazardous situations, suspicious persons or criminal incidents.
- Provides traffic control.
- Performs crowd control and retail security duties as assigned.
- Assists visitors, students or staff by providing information, directions or assistance.
- Assists law enforcement officers as directed.
- Documents activities, reports and/or referrals.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Participates in training and certification sessions.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
STAR Campus (Chemours):
- Access control to include inspection of bags.
- Incident reporting and documentation/investigation of security incidents.
- Perimeter door security and control.
- Receive and respond to communication from Security Control Desk Officer for all access requests.
- Manage and control security of perimeter doors.
- Security system monitoring, testing and inspection.
- Alarm response and investigation.
- Respond to site emergencies.
- Conduct security patrols and building tours.
- Provide assistance during extreme circumstances to clear and/or add salt to pedestrian walkway surfaces.
- Perform building perimeter safety and security equipment inspections.
- Track and document regulatory compliance relative to the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards (CFATS).
- Participation in site drills and exercises.
- Perform miscellaneous job related duties as assigned.
STAR Campus (Newark Regional Transportation Center/NRTC):
- Enter accurate reports of passenger counts, number of cars per train, arrival/departure times, and train cancellations.
- Remain visible and conduct foot patrols to deter vandalism, loitering, solicitations, illegal dumping, and other criminal or suspicious activity at the NRTC.
- Will be responsible for raising and lowering the partial high platform at the NRTC.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or GED, and one year experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to drive motor vehicles.
- Knowledge of First Aid and CPR.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to read, understand, and follow specific instructions and procedures.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Skill in providing protection services to individuals on campus.
- Ability to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel.
- Skill in utilizing building security and lock systems and procedures.
- Ability to use computing equipment related to the University Police Department operations.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening test and a battery of pre-employment tests designed to measure mental skills, motor skills, writing skills, physical fitness and agility applicable to the position.
- Must also pass a comprehensive background investigation including driving record, financial status and criminal history.
Environmental Factors/Occupational Exposures:
- The primary physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in both extreme heat and cold conditions, as well as conditions that are wet/humid, dry and during times when temperatures are below 32°F for more than one-hour periods.
- The employee may be required to bend, squat, stretch, stand, walk, and run for prolonged periods of time.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend