IT Support Consultant, IT-Client Support & Services
Job no: 496670
Work type: Staff
Categories: Information Technology, Full Time
IT Support Consultant (Multiple Positions,Various Levels 27S-29S), IT Client Support & Services
Deadline: Open Until Filled
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The IT Client Support & Services (IT-CSS) department at the University of Delaware (UD) seeks applicants for the position of IT Support Consultant. This is a multiple position, various level search and IT Support Consultants are being hired to work in several IT-CSS areas: Embedded Support, Field Support, and Applications Support.
IT Client Support & Services is often the first point of contact for students, faculty members, and staff members seeking help with technology. IT-CS&S focuses on helping the UD community use technology effectively and efficiently. IT-CS&S staff members also take the lead supporting productivity, computing applications and tools, student computing, and assistance with hardware and software issues. The unit is comprised of the following groups: Client Engagement, Client Services, Distributed IT Support and the ID Card Services.
The IT Support Consultant provides general and specific technical expertise to campus clients either directly or from an IT Support Center referral. IT support encompasses consulting, analyzing, training, writing documentation, resolving problems with software and hardware and installing/configuring new systems and devices.
The IT Support Consultant position is a part of a career ladder. Candidates will be hired into levels that are commensurate with their experience and educational background.
- Consults with faculty and staff and provides friendly, customer service oriented computing support by diagnosing, troubleshooting, and resolving problems with hardware, operating systems, application software, mobile devices, and other related peripherals. Resolves issues in a timely fashion to the client’s satisfaction.
- Provides support to faculty, staff, and/or students in specific area(s) of technical expertise.
- Helps develop effective technology solutions that support academic and administrative activities.
- Assists with installation and configuration of systems, software, and devices in conformance with University IT standards.
- Keeps faculty and staff computer operating systems, virus protection, and productivity software up-to-date using various tools, including in-person, remote support or utilizing central management solutions.
- Assists in the maintenance of documentation and departmental records.
- Participates actively on special technology related projects or initiatives. Participates in research, evaluation and implementation of new technologies.
- Maintains technical knowledge and keeps abreast of technical developments in area of expertise. Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology, equipment, systems, and applicable laws and standards. Makes recommendations for use of specific solutions when appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate working relationships with colleagues and clients and follows University and department policies and procedures governing IT efforts. Works within the department’s overall strategic plan following project priorities and scope. Meets deadlines and achieves goals.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree with one year related experience or equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Experience in a University computing service environment is highly desirable.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the operation and structure of University standard software packages, networking, server hardware and software, and knowledge of current technological developments.
- In depth knowledge of specific applications and/or specialized computer peripherals is required.
- Strong troubleshooting/problem solving skills and the ability to accommodate various needs and work effectively with a diverse user base.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, listening, presentation), organization, interpersonal, and customer-service skills.
- Able to manage multiple projects and be detail oriented.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people having various levels of technical expertise and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated aptitude for learning quickly and functioning in a dynamic technological environment.
- Ability to lift and move, with or without assistance, computer equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds, dexterity to set up, operate and troubleshoot computers and associated peripherals.
- Occasionally required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials when entering laboratory spaces.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend