Business Administrator II, School of Nursing
Job no: 496653
Work type: Staff
Categories: Administrative Support, Full Time
Pay Grade: 31E
Context of Job:
Under the limited direction of the Sr. Associate Dean, this position independently manages the human resource functions, and fiscal affairs of the unit. Monitors and reviews all operating, gift, endowment and sponsored research account expenditures; coordinates all space renovations; supervises support staff; serves as liaison between department and College Business Office regarding research and academic activities. In collaboration with the Manager of Operations and External Relations, responsible for Department and University policy applications and interpretation; assists in policy development; analyzes and interprets and recommends administrative practices and procedures.
- Assists and advises the Sr. Associate Dean on all fiscal, human resources and space and procurement matters related to the department.
- Serves as liaison with other departments in the resolution of fiscal and human resources issues.
- Manages the financial functions of the department.
- Prepares and administers, in consultation with the Sr. Associate Dean, all department accounts; develops systems to improve fiscal control and processing; includes approving and monitoring expenditures.
- Performs financial analyses, including budget projections, analyses of actual activity, variance analyses and cost feasibility studies to facilitate decision-making and planning. Prepares materials to summarize and justify program budget requests, including data gathering/reporting and trend analyses in connection with budgetary formulation and administration.
- Acts as liaison with the College Business Officer regarding budget issues and planning; independently prepares financial reports and other reports as needed for the Sr. Associate Dean/College.
- Manages the expense tracking and procurement card reconciliation for approximately 42 faculty and staff members.
- In collaboration with the Manager of Operations and External Relations, serves as liaison for the Sr. Associate Dean and staff regarding proper procedural methods and problem resolution; resolves complex administrative/procedural problems. Provides orientation and interpretation of University and Department policies and procedures for faculty and exempt staff.
- Coordinates and participates in a variety of human resources activities including employment, labor relations, benefits, training, and classification for unit/department.
- Manages matters related to personnel appointments, salary increases, space allocation, and dismissals. Prepares all confidential personnel documents for faculty, professionals, and staff. Prepare all overload and research effort payments to full time faculty and staff.
- Prepares the following for presentation to the Sr. Associate Dean: strategic planning, budget and financial forecasting, staffing needs and other departmental initiatives.
- Provides fiscal and accounting oversight for the overall research mission of the Department. Responsible for post-award management at the departmental level in conjunction with CHS Sponsored Programs unit.
- Prepares, analyzes and reviews budgets and expenditures; includes forecasting future commitments. Oversees daily processing and accounting for revenue and expenditures; ensures accuracy and availability of funding and compliance with standard accounting and audit procedures. Understands and enforces the terms and conditions of each award. Ensures compliance with sponsoring agencies regulations and University policy and procedures.
- Meet with PI regularly to review post award activity; analyze financial data to provide relevant expenditure projections; monitor all expenditures including grad students, summer pay for researchers, etc; anticipate spending, payroll obligations and analyze scenarios in changing financial projections.
- On a monthly basis, review and reconcile statements to ensure compliance in areas of unallowable charges and prepare journal voucher adjustments as needed. Provide expense documentation to CHS Sponsored Programs unit, participate in the closeout process.
- Oversees and reviews/approves processing of personnel forms for faculty, staff, and postdoctoral associates, visiting scholars, and professionals. Approves vacation/sick leave requests and monitor leave balances.
- Develops and oversees renovation projects and other department space needs.
- Supervises support staff and part time misc. wage employees; motivates, develops, directs and assigns work and special projects for staff; monitors workload and productivity; evaluates performance; promotes and provides staff training and development; provides assistance in analyzing and resolving complex issues.
- Keeps abreast of changes in University policies and procedures, current developments in research administration, accounting and auditing professions and changes in local, state and federal law. Reports changes and updates to Sr. Associate Dean, faculty and staff.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and five years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Degree in a business related discipline preferred.
- Skilled in leadership, strategic planning, budget preparation, and fiscal management.
- Ability to gather and analyze financial data and other student/class data and create and generate reports.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural recommendations and decisions independently. Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with federal grants administration; understanding of Federal, State and University policies and procedures.
- Strong organizational skills. Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities simultaneously, meet tight deadlines, and give attention to detail.
- Supervisory experience, including team building and collaboration skills.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of University databases and systems including UDataGlance, PeopleSoft (including reporting and queries), Works, UDSIS, Effort, LAM, HRMS preferred.
- Proficiency in the Windows environment, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend