Sr Business Intelligence Developer, Institutional Research & Effectiveness
Job no: 496501
Work type: Staff
Categories: Institutional Research & Planning, Full Time
Pay Grade: 31S
Under limited direction of the Sr. Data Architect, the Sr Business Intelligence Developer, Full Stack Developer has the primary responsibility of designing reports, data models, table structures and data pipelines to facilitate enterprise reporting and analytics. The developer needs to blend expert knowledge of databases, data warehousing concepts and business intelligence and analysis tools with business knowledge from across the University to design dashboards, reports and analysis and other data products to aid in decision making for the University community. The incumbent will need to be comfortable with the 'full stack' of data analytic tools, understanding the business application, database and ETL, analytic and reporting tools to efficiently design, enhance and debug dashboards and reports. The developer will promote best practices in data management and software development within the Institutional Research and Effectiveness team. This functional role works closely with subject matter experts, college business officers, and other clients to understand business requirements and translate these into the technical foundations to support the analytics initiative, providing data architecture and design expertise in both developmental projects and day to day support of Enterprise Data Warehousing, Data Models, Dashboards, Infographics, and future data information systems. The incumbent will need analytical problem-solving skills in order to approach high-level data challenges with a clear eye on what is important; employing agile methodologies to demonstrate continued progress. The ideal candidate would have strong background in higher education administrative data as well as current leading reporting and analysis tools.
- Provide direction for diverse and complex initiatives and be accountable for a variety of tasks to architect and deliver dashboards, reports, analysis, data models, pipelines, and data warehousing solutions from conception to completion with minimal guidance.
- Work with clients, business analysts, technical staff, and project team members to plan, design, develop, implement, and enhance applications, scripts, procedures, and metadata.
- Work with Extract/Translate/Load (ETL) developers and database administrators to design data warehouse schema and define ETL processes for the data warehouse.
- Become a data generalist for the University's various data domains.
- Provide expert support and guidance for Business Intelligence Analysts when problems arise outside of their level of visibility or expertise.
- Recommend and help implement security options at various levels in the data stack, including row level security, role-based security and dashboard/project level security.
- Help ensure data accuracy and integrity by using defensive coding techniques, creating or recommending lightweight monitoring and/or testing procedures and participating in governance discussions.
- Build an inventory of data and develop data models for database structures needed to implement the architecture
- Research new opportunities for data acquisition.? Design, document, configure and optimize database architectures and applications (e.g. large relational databases). Integrate technical functionality (e.g. scalability, security, performance, reliability, etc.).
- Monitor the data warehouse and business intelligence system performance and integrity, and provide corrective and preventative maintenance as required.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree with four years of job-related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Degree in computer science, computer engineering or a related field preferred.
- Experience data modeling, and knowledge of relational and dimensional data modeling (such as star schemas, normalized and de-normalized models) and handling Slowly Changing Dimensions (SCD) and fact tables.
- 3+ years of experience with ANSI Standard SQL and knowledge of proprietary variants (Redshift, Oracle, preferred)
- 3+ years of experience with current Business Intelligence and Analytic tools (Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI, Cognos preferred)
- Strong understanding of programming and scripting principles. Experience with python or a similar language preferred.
- Strong understanding of statistics and analytical techniques. Experience or understanding of SAS or SPSS preferred.
- Experience with agile methodologies and the software development lifecycle (SDLC). Experience with version control systems such as Git preferred.
- Experience with ERP implementation.
- Experience with ETL software and methodologies.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Strong desire to learn and produce best-in-class products to help drive the University forward.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend