Manager, Technical Writing
Job no: 496084
Work type: Staff
Categories: Information Technology, Communications & Public Relations, Full Time
Pay Grade: 31E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Information Technologies at the University of Delaware (www.it.udel.edu) provides the IT infrastructure, central IT systems and applications, and IT services for University of Delaware teaching, learning, research, administrative, and outreach activities. IT is comprised of eight teams: Academic Technology Services, Client Support & Services, Enterprise Systems & Cloud Services, Information Security, Network & Infrastructure Services, Research Cyberinfrastructure, Strategic Operations, and University Media Services.
The Manager, Technical Writing reports to the Associate Vice President, IT Strategic Operations (IT-SO) and is a key member of the UDIT Communications Group. The IT Strategic Operations (IT-SO) unit has oversight for the business operations (IT governance, strategic planning, project management, service management, contract negotiations, budget, communications, facilities planning and human resources) of the Information Technologies division.
The Manager, Technical Writing plays a key role in identifying, developing, and editing internal and external reports, strategic documents, newsletters, presentations, emails, social media, and technical copy for IT-ATS. Under limited direction, the Manager collaborates with ATS staff, the UDIT senior leadership team, the UDIT Communications Group, and program and project leaders across campus to create communications that promote and increase awareness of the IT-ATS programs and services objectives and encourage a positive culture around teaching and online learning at the University.
The Manager, Technical Writing works directly with colleagues in IT-ATS to provide communication, design, print, and web support for teaching and learning at the University of Delaware, course design and development, learner success, special initiatives, workshops, and event promotion. The Manager is responsible for producing communications and technical copy using the latest software and tools. Communications include those for internal and external audiences that may be either customer- or executive-facing with possible broad dissemination.
- Identifies, develops, and defines communications, publications, and technical documentation to diverse University constituencies with special focus on faculty.
- Establishes consistent communications protocols and ensures quality control and quality assurance of IT-ATS messaging and print and web publications.
- Creates efficient and effective procedures to provide successful and high-quality services.
- Develops and coordinates the production and delivery of tactics and products, ensuring adherence to policies, procedures, goals, and requirements.
- Produces quality professional writing and quick, autonomous turnaround of original work product and reviewed or edited materials with quality assurance.
- Interacts with UDIT units to provide messaging and communications as needed.
- Leads the development of communication, alert and documentation plans associated with IT-ATS projects. Defines and documents goals and timelines; tracks and confirms milestones; coordinates resources and internal and external team members.
- Gathers, organizes, prioritizes, and presents data in succinct information sets that clearly articulate strategic and technical directions.
- Formats information sets using latest technologies to meet IT-ATS goals, distribution channel requirements, and audience needs.
- Identifies content needs and context, then researches, writes, and proofreads copy and content for electronic and print materials, including brochures, emails, newsletters, annual reports, web content, and press releases.
- Ensures adherence to communication, branding, and accessibility standards at the University of Delaware as needed.
- Keeps abreast of industry standards, recommendations, and guidelines related to the creation and delivery of documentation and other communications. Anticipates and prepares for changes in relevant technologies.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate working relationships with colleagues and clients and follows University and department policies and procedures governing IT efforts. Works within the department’s overall strategic plan following project priorities and scope.
- Meets deadlines and achieves goals.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Writing, Communications, Communications Technology, English or other related discipline, with five years of related experience managing and delivering communications activities, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Accuracy in grammar, spelling.
- Timeliness in terms of deliverable deadlines.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in team environments across a diverse set of projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Proactive approach to problem solving.
- Delivery mindset.
- Knowledge of communications and marketing concepts, principles, methodology and techniques
- Proficiency in techniques of electronic publication.
- Experience working in the information technology field; working with digital communications and materials, including familiarity with analytics tools to measure effectiveness of publicized materials.
- Experience working in one or more academic areas related to academic technologies; instructional design; course development; faculty development; and online, hybrid, and face-to-face instruction preferred.
- Experience that demonstrates exemplary judgement and confidentiality when required.
- Experience in a research-oriented institution of higher education preferred.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend