Maintenance Assistant, DE Biotechnology Institute DBI
Job no: 494674
Work type: Staff
Categories: Research & Laboratory, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 26N
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Delaware Biotechnology Institute (DBI) is an interdisciplinary research unit at the University of Delaware. The vision is to create a better future through leadership in life science research. Most, of DBI’s activities involve molecular and cellular studies of living systems and many, but not all, of the research activities involve partnerships with other institutions in the region. DBI’s mission is to promote research, education, and technology transfer for biotechnology applications to the benefit of the environment, agriculture, and human health. DBI fosters a collaborative and cutting–edge research environment, encourages innovation and technology transfer, and supports ground-breaking discoveries to benefit the environment, agriculture, and human health. DBI staff will be committed to being proactive in solving problems, serving the needs of the faculty and research groups that rely on DBI, and performing all duties efficiently, with careful attention to detail, and with priority on issues that support the Institute's mission and the team. Primary responsibilities will be on STAR Campus at the Ammon Pinizzotto Biopharmaceutical Innovation Center.
- Maintains cleanliness and working order of shared lab equipment and space. Contacts vendors for service when needed.
- Maintains Service Contracts of shared equipment.
- Fabricate, design, modify and/or purchase materials for research and teaching lab projects
- Operates power-driven tools (e.g., lifts, grinders, etc.) and hand tools.
- Repairs and orders new tools and equipment.
- Delivers and installs gas cylinders upon request.
- Provide training and proper use of autoclaves and dishwashers with end-users.
- Troubleshoot issues with autoclaves and dishwashers with contract maintenance personnel. Contacts maintenance personnel to repair autoclaves and dishwashers.
- Assists residents as needed in moving equipment within the Department.
- Assist the Building Manager with building projects and or repairs.
- In the absence of the Building Manager, the Maintenance Assistant will coordinate with external contractors and facilities personnel in the U of D shops during building projects or when repairs are needed.
- Assist outside contractors when they need to schedule work in BPI. Also looping in the Building Manager as well as the Director and Associate Director of DBI. The Facilities Manager also performs this task.
- Assist outside contractors with any building-related problems that arise when they are working on various projects.
- Performs routine building walkthroughs to assigned areas.
- Under the coordination of Building Manager, respond to service requests from residents.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED and two years of job-related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments concurrently.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Effective interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
- Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments, analyze and solve problems, and prioritize, plan and organize work.
- Requires the ability to lift and move, with or without assistance, delivery boxes and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Must be available during non-business hours to occasionally assist with special department events as assigned.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend