Post Doctoral Researcher, Biological Sciences (Cytochromes )
Job no: 494665
Work type: Staff
Categories: Research & Laboratory, Full Time
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
A post-doctoral researcher position is available in the lab of Dr. Molly C. Sutherland, studying the mechanisms of cytochrome c biogenesis. Cytochromes c are ubiquitous in nature, functioning in diverse electron transport chains for critical cellular functions (e.g. respiration, detoxification) and are unique among cytochromes due to the requirement for covalently attached heme. The heme attachment reaction is accomplished by dedicated pathways termed System I, II and III. System I and II are found in prokaryotes and will be studied by the post-doctoral researcher. The post-doctoral researcher will take a lead role in designing and implementing studies to elucidate the mechanisms of cytochrome c biogenesis. Techniques include standard molecular biology, microbiology and biochemistry techniques, as well as specialized techniques for purification and analysis of integral membrane proteins and heme proteins.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and perform experiments related to understanding the mechanisms of cytochrome c biogenesis. Collect and analyze data. Propose next steps and new directions.
- Prepare scientific data for publication
- Attend and present data at national and/or international conferences
- Apply for postdoctoral fellowships and help prepare grant proposals to support the research
- Excellent written and oral communication is required
- Ability to work independently and contribute to a team environment
- Help to create and maintain a positive/supportive lab environment
- Promote active discussion among lab members to drive collaboration, address technical issues and encourage new ideas. This will require the ability to adapt as the research evolves.
- Train and supervise undergraduates, technicians and graduate students to conduct research, maintain records and follow lab protocols
- Excellent record keeping and lab notebooks are required. Ensure backup of all electronic data
- Maintain lab inventories: strains, proteins and chemical inventory
- PhD in Biological/Life Sciences (Microbiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related field)
- Experience with affinity purification of proteins and/or molecular microbiology is a plus
- Work environment may include working in a cold room for short periods of time.
- Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
- Without assistance, must be able to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Requires dexterity in handling delicate and hazardous materials.
- The ability to accurately discern colors and measure laboratory materials.
- Must be able to work various and sometimes long hours due to the timing on experiments, including possibly weekends and evenings.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend