Job no: 494648
Work type: AFSCME
Categories: Facilities Management, Full Time
CLASSIFICATION TITLE: ROOFER
AFSCME LOCAL 3472
SCHEDULE: Mon- Fri 7am-3:30pm
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under general supervision, performs skilled work at the journeyman level in the inspection, installation, maintenance, and repair of roofs. Performs specialized work that requires knowledge of repairs and/or applied composition roofing and other materials, fabricates and installs gutters and downspouts, and installs and repairs acoustical ceiling tiles. Individual communicates by radio during work hours and may be called in to respond to emergencies.
- Efficiently performs all duties required in the trade of roofer-recognized procedures and techniques; installs, inspects, and repairs all types of roofing; installs insulation materials; accurately estimates required materials;
- Performs sheet metal cutting, splicing, bending, and fabrication;
- Builds and installs, gutters, leaders and headings for leaders;
- Fabricates and installs flashing of all types;
- Inspects, repairs and/or replaces ceiling tiles;
- Solders sheet metal and/or copper or related material as needed particularly in gutter and downspout fabrication;
- Uses computer to access e-mail, receive work instructions and other administrative information, which includes electronic payroll forms;
- Communicates daily using a two-way radio, and/or pager system in order to respond to work-related routine and emergency information;
- Performs housekeeping duties to maintain a clean, uncluttered and safe work environment;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Requires a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in the trade as a journeyman roofer.
- Working knowledge of use, care, and safe handling of tools, equipment, materials commonly used in the trade.
- Knowledge of preparation, application, and/or installation methods used in roofing.
- Skill in the use of appropriate tools and equipment and basic math skills, which includes the ability to estimate roofing and related materials.
- Ability to install roofing materials and adhesives and react promptly and correctly in emergency situations concerning storm damage, roof leaks and floods.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions, maintain required records and read and understand manuals and drawings.
- With or without assistance, must be able to exert 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects and job-related materials and/or equipment.
- Must be able to climb stairs and ladders up to 40 ft., work from scaffolding and high areas using appropriate harness and tether equipment, and use ramps and aerial lift devices above ground. Ability to accurately discern colors.
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license in order to drive University of Delaware vehicles.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS/OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURES:
- The primary physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in conditions that are wet/humid and dry, as well as both extreme heat and cold conditions, including during times when temperatures are below 32°F for more than one-hour periods. Employee must lift, tug, pull, and transport, with or without assistance, both small and heavy equipment and material, as necessary.
- The employee may be required to bend, squat, stretch and stand and/or work in cramped areas for prolonged periods of times while repairing roofs and ceiling tiles both at floor level, overhead, and/or in confined spaces.
- Environment may frequently include dust and/or airborne particles and occasionally loud noise, electricity/high voltage, chemicals, gases, fumes, vibration, and asbestos. For this reason, employee is required to wear designated personal protective equipment to include, but not limited to, ANSI-approved safety eyewear, hardhats, gloves, hearing protection, full face shield, and footwear to prevent exposures to hazardous materials, noise, dust and/or airborne particles. Must be able to wear designated respirator when required as part of the personal protective equipment.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend