Communications Specialist I, Human Development & Family Sciences
Job no: 494619
Work type: Staff
Categories: Communications & Public Relations, Full Time
Pay Grade: 29E
This is a grant funded position.
Context of the Job:
The Department of Human Development and Family Sciences (HDFS) within the College of Education and Human Development is a diversified Department with undergraduate and graduate programs that require a close working relationship with the State of Delaware, Federal Agencies, local school systems, and numerous Health and Service agencies.
The Department houses the Delaware Institute for Excellence in Early Childhood (DIEEC), supporting the workforce and programming services for children aged six weeks to twelve years of age in early care and education through the translation of evidence-based practices to community-based settings as well as the generation of new knowledge via applied research. The DIEEC houses grant-funded projects designed to increase the quality of early care and education throughout the state of Delaware. Delaware Stars for Early Success provides technical assistance, financial supports, and professional development supports to family and center-based childcare programs throughout the state. Early Childhood Professional Development manages the Quality Assurance early childhood professional development system and delivers Quality Assured trainings to early care and education providers throughout the state. New Directions Early Head Start provides pregnant women, infants, toddlers, and their families with quality care and family services, including both home-based and center-based services.
Under general direction, the Communications Specialist contributes to internal and external communications to support DIEEC projects. This position supports the Program Manager, Communications to ensure strategic and coordinated internal and external communication efforts across DIEEC projects.
- Support development and implementation of integrated communications plan that ensures consistent DIEEC branding and messaging.
- Generate and publish frequent content via intranet (SharePoint), internal newsletter, external newsletter, video, infographics and other communications as necessary to build meaningful connections and encourage active engagement.
- Routinely photograph and video staff, programs and training events to expand photo resources and showcase successes and happenings.
- Consistently analyze performance of communications messaging and tools using analytics and refine as needed.
- Oversight of marketing material ordering/ purchasing accounts and approved branding
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years’ related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Degree in a communications related field preferred.
- WordPress experience preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including SharePoint.
- Knowledge of communications, including marketing, public awareness, web design, and social media, as well as knowledge of child development, early care and education environments.
- Ability to write articles, newsletters, and presentations focusing on early childhood topics
- Effective organizational skills.
- Ability to evaluate and prioritize assignments and the ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to use independent thought, judgment, discretion, and self-motivation.
- Ability to work effectively on a team.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend