Security Officer- Lewes campus, Police Department
Job no: 493828
Work type: Staff
Categories: Public Safety, Security, & Emergency Services, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 26N
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under limited supervision, serves as a uniformed member of the University of Delaware Police Department performing routine and diverse duties requiring independent judgment in the application of prescribed procedures and methods related to University services, traffic control and law enforcement duties; takes corrective and/or enforcement action as required in accordance with established laws, regulations and procedures; requires the exercise of tactful and assertive interpersonal communication skills.
- Performs messenger service for the University; transports confidential correspondence, potentially large sums of cash and/or checks other sensitive material both on and off campus.
- Performs escort and limousine service; transports students, staff and guests to on- and off-campus locations.
- Renders first aid; transports sick, injured or otherwise disabled persons.
- Patrols the campus to ensure the security of facilities and the safety of students, staff and visitors; prevents and deters crime by observation and confrontation of unusual circumstances or individuals; locks or unlocks buildings; notifies supervisors of security defects, hazardous situations, suspicious persons or criminal incidents.
- Provides traffic control, enforces parking and motor vehicle operation regulation, and maintains parking control devices.
- Performs crowd control and retail security duties as assigned.
- Assists visitors, students or staff by providing information, directions or assistance.
- Assists law enforcement officers as directed.
- Documents activities, reports and/or referrals. Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Participates in training and certification sessions.
- Inputs, searches and modifies appropriate computerized criminal justice information systems.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or GED, and one year experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to drive motor vehicles.
- Knowledge of First Aid and CPR.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to read, understand, and follow specific instructions and procedures.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Skill in providing protection services to individuals on campus.
- Ability to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel.
- Skill in utilizing building security and lock systems and procedures.
- Ability to use computing equipment related to Police Department operations.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator license.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening test and a battery of pre-employment tests designed to measure mental skills, motor skills, writing skills, physical fitness and agility applicable to the position.
- Must also pass a comprehensive background investigation including driving record, financial status and criminal history.
Environmental Factors/Occupational Exposures:
- The primary physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in both extreme heat and cold conditions, as well as conditions that are wet/humid, dry and during times when temperatures are below 32°F for more than one-hour periods.
- The employee may be required to bend, squat, stretch, stand, walk, and run for prolonged periods of time.
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend