Digital Communication Specialist, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Job no: 500380
College / VP Area: College of Ag & Natural Res
Work type: Staff
Categories: Communications & Public Relations, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 30E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under the general direction of the Director of Communications, the Digital Communications Specialist is responsible for web development and digital communications for the University of Delaware College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR), including Cooperative Extension. The Digital Communications Specialist is responsible for the specification, acquisition, design, development and maintenance of web-based information and e-commerce services. The Digital Communications Specialist supports both Academic and Administrative departments within the CANR.
The CANR Communications Office provides communications, marketing, public relations, writing, web, and multimedia services and strategic direction for CANR faculty, staff, and. The Digital Communications Specialist works in close coordination communications staff in the college and UD’s Office of Communications and Marketing to ensure consistent messaging, branding and best practices.
- In collaboration with the Director of Communications, develop and implement a strategic digital communications plan in support of college and unit communications goals. Develop, coordinate and implement electronic outreach efforts.
- Manages approvals and edits of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR) website, including but not limited to web-based applications, website enhancements, database-backed websites, e-commerce, web layout enhancements, and web accessibility. Designs, codes, and tests technical solutions.
- Supervises and develops web applications for college units, departments, and faculty, including story maps and touchscreens. Consults with faculty and staff to assess system needs and takes the lead to coordinate web development and web-based information systems and implements the necessary changes and systems to meet the CANR’s needs.
- Trains web editors on UD website content management systems, including Adobe Experience Manager, WordPress, and/or Google Sites, to maintain web pages. Creates templates and documentation for said webpages. Designs new websites for CANR-associated programs and upcoming events.
- Analyzes web analytics and related data to evaluate college digital performance, develops strategic insights and recommendations, and measures performance against objectives.
- Analyzes CANR’s digital advertising campaigns, including, monitoring trends, conducting analysis to measure reach.
- Uses a variety of web development tools such as platforms, including but not limited to Meta, WordPress, X (Twitter), Google Search Console, and Google Analytics, to increase and optimize traffic to the CANR website.
- Interacts with UD communications and marketing professionals and IT to make sure branding and consistency are maintained across mediums.
- Collaborates with CANR staff and faculty, University IT, University Communications and Marketing staff and is a primary liaison between the groups.
- Presents seminars and events as the CANR/Cooperative Extension digital representative and participates during internal and external training programs.
- Responsible for complying with university policies, procedures, and best practices regarding protecting data and following UD data governance rules.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in visual arts, marketing, communication, computer science, web development, or related field with four years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Highly competent in Adobe Experience Manager (AEM), WordPress and/or other web content management systems.
- Knowledge of web design, including responsive design, web standards and applications, accessibility, search engine optimization, and technical and functional design requirements.
- Experience designing and documenting complex or large-scale web-based applications.
- Experience writing for the web and adapting content for digital delivery.
- Ability to convey enthusiasm for training and coaching others who exhibit a range of digital knowledge and skill levels.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple clients and projects simultaneously, balance multiple tasks and projects, be detail oriented and maintain strict deadlines.
- Experience with social networks, including X (Twitter), YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Adept at Adobe Photoshop/Bridge/Premier Pro or Final Cut Pro, Hutsuite and e-newsletter marketing platforms.
- Adhere to University Brand Guides as well as policies and procedures governing communications, marketing, information technology, and web platforms.
- Desire to learn new skills and embrace new technologies as they are developed.
- Effective communication skills (oral, written, listening, presentation) and organization skills.
- Demonstrated understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend