Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC) Program & DEI/Outreach Manager
Job no: 500307
College / VP Area: College of Engineering
Work type: Staff
Categories: Full Time, Program/Project Management
PAY GRADE: 34E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Center for Composite Materials (CCM) a soft-funded research center within the College of Engineering, has annual research expenses of more than $15M that is derived entirely from external sources, including grants, cooperative agreements, contracts, and industrial contracts. The mission of the Center is to 1) conduct basic and applied research, 2) educate scientists and engineers, and 3) transition technology to industry.
The Program and DEI/Outreach Manager is responsible for overseeing the operations and progress tracking and driving the diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives for the DOE-funded Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC): "AIM for Composites". This role involves managing daily EFRC operations, tracking research endeavors, developing DEI programs, coordinating outreach and marketing activities, and providing administrative support. The manager will also be responsible for reporting, preparing manuals, and performing other assigned duties.
EFRC Program Management and Operations (35%)
- Manages EFRC operations, ensuring alignment with goals and objectives.
- Implements strategic plans and delegates responsibilities to achieve desired outcomes.
- Coordinates multiple EFRC projects, monitoring timelines, schedules, and progress towards deliverables.
- Manages risks, issues, and corrective actions for projects and subprojects.
- Regularly meets with the EFRC director to review, discuss, and coordinate actions.
- Oversees daily operations of EFRC, making informed decisions on issues.
- Manages EFRC-related purchasing and tracking through UD procurement applications coordinating with accountant and/or financial analyst to maintain and update the business plan.
- Participates in the review of the business plan and other strategic planning as required. Provides input to budget planning for outreach activities.
- Supports in preparation for future funding proposals and requests. Works closely with the project sponsors, cross-functional teams, and assigned project managers to plan and develop scope, deliverables, required resources, work plan, budget, and timing for new initiatives.
- Assesses procedures and implements necessary changes for improved efficiency.
- Facilitates regular meetings to ensure effective communication across teams and projects.
- Coordinates travel arrangements for EFRC-related activities.
- Assists in the preparation of university forms and documentation.
- Manages complex schedules for leaders and external stakeholders.
- Handles awards and recognitions relevant to EFRC projects and personnel.
- Maintains comprehensive records of all awards and significant events.
DEI Program Management (35%)
- Develops, manages, and monitors the implementation of the diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) program for the DOE-funded EFRC.
- Drives accountability to project timelines, deliverables, and outcomes related to the DEI program.
- Develop processes, documentation, and communications for the roll-out and ongoing support of the DEI program.
- Works under the direction of the EFRC director to ensure strong attention to strategy, implementation, and delegation.
- Serves as a subject matter expert in DEI by providing perspectives, insights, and knowledge.
- Ensures that DEI initiatives align with institutional policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to integrate DEI principles into the EFRC's overall mission and operations.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of the DEI program, making necessary adjustments and improvements.
- Stays informed about current trends and best practices in DEI to continuously enhance the program's impact.
- Fosters a culture of inclusivity and support within EFRC and promote diversity in all aspects of activities.
- Collaborates on project planning and execution.
- Organizes and attends DEI committee meetings.
- Provides administrative support, including managing schedules and coordinating travel.
- Manages websites and acts as a liaison for web design.
- Coordinates measurable outreach initiatives.
- Monitors and evaluates community outreach and diversity initiatives.
- Prepares communication materials and participates in conferences and forums.
- Manages social media pages, including content creation and engagement.
- Analyzes social media metrics and acts on information.
Data Analysis and Reporting (20%)
- Compiles and analyze data related to EFRC performance on various projects.
- Defines and track key performance indicators.
- Prepares and deliver periodic project reporting for EFRC director for internal reporting as well as to sponsors and industrial partners.
- Serves as the primary point of contact, responding to requests from sponsors and industry for information.
- Monitors key metrics including but not limited to research output and budgetary constraints. Ensure targets are met, under the governance of the EFRC director.
- Prepares and delivers periodic project reports for internal and external stakeholders.
Technical Writing (10%)
- Supports CCM personnel with technical writing services, including but not limited to working on EFRC renewal proposal, new research direction proposals from EFRC research scope, research findings/publications, sponsor reports, and editing papers.
- Critically evaluates technical write-ups and provide feedback.
- Creates and maintains consistent boilerplate documents and templates for center proposals and other items.
- A bachelor's degree in business administration, project management, or related discipline, and eight years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires three years of prior work experience in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiative.
- Proficient on advanced skills with MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook).
- Strong data analysis skills and the ability to interpret results for technical reporting.
- Experience supporting collaborative projects and working with industry partners and stakeholders.
- Excellent leadership and management skills, including the ability to manage, train, and mentor graduate students and research staff.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact with internal and external parties and provide analysis support.
- Proven experience in program management, operations, and strategic planning.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to align operations with goals and objectives.
- Excellent organizational and time management abilities.
- Knowledge of budget planning, purchasing, and financial tracking.
- Familiarity with strategic planning and business plan development.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to handle complex schedules and coordinate with stakeholders.
- Experience in managing awards, recognition, and maintaining comprehensive records.
- Proficiency in data compilation, analysis, and reporting.
- Strong understanding of key performance indicators (KPIs) and metrics.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills for preparing and delivering reports.
- Ability to respond to information requests and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in data interpretation and reporting.
- Experience in project reporting and presenting findings to diverse audiences.
- In-depth understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) principles, practices, and strategies.
- Experience in developing and implementing DEI programs.
- Knowledge of institutional policies and procedures related to DEI.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to collaborate with stakeholders and integrate DEI into mission and operations.
- Strong technical writing skills with the ability to produce clear, concise, and accurate documents.
- Knowledge of grant proposal writing, research publication standards, and editing practices.
- Ability to critically evaluate technical write-ups and provide constructive feedback.
- Proficiency in creating and maintaining consistent templates and boilerplate documents.
- Familiarity with marketing content creation and drafting.
- Demonstrated proficiency working in team environment and set own priorities based on project schedule.
- Effective oral and written communication of reports and presentations.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend