Assistant Director, External Relations/Project Manager, External Relations
Job no: 497366
Work type: Staff
Categories: Athletics, Full Time
Pay Grade: 29E
Context of the Job:
The University of Delaware (UD) is currently in the public phase of a comprehensive campaign. As part of this effort, the Office of Development & Alumni Relations is building a model fundraising infrastructure, one that will meet the growing needs of the University and support the University’s strategic plan, and secure funding for established and emerging University campaign priorities. It is our mission to engage donors, alumni, friends, parents, faculty, staff and students in a lifelong relationship and foster a tradition of philanthropy to strengthen the University’s legacy as one of the great public institutions of higher education in America.
Under the limited direction of the Sr Associate Director of Annual Giving and Project Manager for Athletics, the Assistant Director, External Relations is responsible for the coordination between the athletics development team, the athletics external relations team and the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics fundraising efforts. The Assistant Director will be instrumental in tracking and implementing strategic development initiatives to provide increased revenue in support of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Services Mission of “Achieving Excellence Together”.
The Assistant Director collaborates with other Development and Alumni Relations staff and the Athletics External team to meet Athletics’ fundraising goals.
- Project Management 40%
- Directly manage projects as assigned by the Sr. Associate Director of Annual Giving and Project Manager
- Executes the name-a-locker program to bring in revenue for all 21 varsity sports
- Provide support for the scholarship matching and stewardship process for student-athletes
- Contributes to the short and long-range strategic planning for annual giving fundraising, goals, strategies, and policies for alumni, parents, faculty, staff, students, and friends, all aimed at increasing giving, participation, and involvement.
- Project manager oversight for athletics development related projects that have multiple units collaboratively working together to increase revenue and/or engage donors and season ticket members.
- Processes/prepares weekly gift report, generates thank you letters for Director of Development for Athletics, Athletic Director, and coaches for signature, and then mail out after returned.
- Maintains knowledge and expertise of donor policies and programs.
- Responds to donor inquiries (via phone/email) pertaining to Delaware Athletics; serves as customer service representative.
- Meets and works with administration and staff, coaches, alumni, parents, students, and community members in implementing the athletics fundraising efforts. Partners with internal constituents to implement an effective development program for athletics.
- Constituent Engagement 40%
- Manages direct responses coming from Athletic Director email account and the Blue Hens Club email account to provide customer service to external constituents.
- Provides team-wide support as needed for planning, coordination, and implementation of special events such as football games, hospitality functions, and special events.
- Serves as liaison with the Athletic Department which includes working with Marketing, Communications and Coaches requesting information on donors, etc.
- Support coaches and staff with alumni and donor communications and events.
- Assists in the creation of talking points for Athletic Director and Deputy Athletic Director speaking engagements and constituent events.
- Provide gameday support for Athletic Director to coordinate events, donor meetings and speaking engagements. Prepare credentials, bios on donors, prep Athletic Director suite and assist the Athletic Director on game day.
- Provide non-game day donor event support such as tours, and prep for any materials needed for donor visits.
- Manages the Athletic Director prospect list.
- Administration 20%
- Provide administrative support for the athletic development team, the Athletic Director for donor related travel including expense reports, travel needs and contact reports.
- Provide calendar support for Deputy Athletic Director.
- Manage and execute any pressing communication needs on behalf of the Athletic Director in her absence.
- Manage the Athletic Director calendar in absence of the Administrative Assistant.
- Assist in managing the budgets for the external relations team and the athletic development team.
- Performs job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with three years of progressively responsible job-related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Computer literacy with development and ticket-related database management applications preferred.
- Ability to work in a timely manner despite many deadlines and competing requirements.
- Strong writing, design, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to identify and assess business needs and coordinate effective operating and system solutions.
- Ability to implement short and long-range goals.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions.
- Strong self-motivation.
- Experience in a collegiate athletics development office or other fundraising/sales/marketing-related environment is preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of NCAA rules compliance preferred.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends.
- Willingness to travel both regionally as necessary.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend