Assistant to the Dean, Health Sciences Deans Office
Job no: 496868
Work type: Staff
Categories: Administrative Support, Full Time
Pay Grade: 29E
Context of the Job:
Under general direction of the Dean, the Assistant to the Dean manages, plans, organizes and provides support in a variety of operational areas including for the Dean of the College, Deputy Dean, Associate Dean for Research. Serves as liaison between the Dean and the CHS leadership team, the college's academic units, UD administrative offices, State officials, donors, current and potential internal and external partners in education, healthcare, business, development, the community, media, current and prospective undergraduate students, parents and graduate students, following College and UD administrative policies and procedures. Works simultaneously on multiple projects/assignments in an often-changing environment. Communicates efficiently and effectively in writing and verbally via phone and in-person. Responsible for general office management. Supervisor to non-exempt (Administrative Assistant III) staff person, student workers, and variable hour employees. The College of Health Sciences leads the charge in creating new models for translational research, inter-professional education and innovative healthcare delivery. State-of-the-art research and classroom facilities are directly linked to three clinics - the Physical Therapy Clinic; Nurse Managed Primary Care Center, and Speech, Language and Hearing clinic - all located at the STAR Health complex. This position is instrumental in bringing this to fruition while ensuring daily administrative needs and deadlines are met, all while evolving our future by prioritizing and coordinating meetings and projects that advance the Dean's and the College's wide range of initiatives.
- Oversees the daily function of the Dean's Office assisting the Dean and senior administrative staff ensuring the needs of UD administrative offices, faculty, staff, students, parents, educational healthcare and business partners internal and external to the University, as well as the community often simultaneously working on several issues/projects at one time.
- Communicates professionally, effectively and efficiently on a daily basis via email correspondence, phone or in-person with the fore mentioned responding to a variety of requests, questions and concerns.
- Conducts limited research and analyses of unit services or other situations requiring unit action to determine, implement or authorize an appropriate course of action.
- Keeps management informed of potential areas of difficulties.
- Supervises Administrative Staff, Misc. Wage employees and all student workers whose responsibilities include initial contact for visitors to Dean's Office, staff support to College Advisory Council, Deputy Dean, and Associate Dean for Research, assists with itineraries and travel arrangements for candidate visits, maintains College database of all faculty and staff and other duties as assigned.
- Assists the Dean on all initiatives often including subjects of confidential nature.
- Manages the Dean's calendar scheduling and rescheduling meetings and presentations with internal/external administrative offices/colleagues, current/potential partners, etc. providing the necessary support to keep on schedule during the workday. Meetings include 1:1 or with several individuals from one or more institutions. Presentations are for internal and external events. Collaborates with Dean to prepare for meetings; including determination of meeting participants, collecting necessary support documentation, i.e., agendas, minutes, bios, background, directions and other pertinent information related to each meeting/presentation. When appropriate, delegate meetings to another member of the Dean's Office or College staff/faculty.
- Maintains College master calendar for events, academics, financials, promotion & tenure, etc., and works with College leadership team to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Maintains public mailing and other distribution lists and performs annual updates of College directory.
- Processes registrations and makes travel arrangements for conferences and invited presentations, ensures both the Dean and the host organization is informed of each other's requests (i.e., technical, AV).
- In collaboration with the Chief of Staff and Events Manager, sets the schedule of College events for 30+ events each fiscal year including New Student Welcome, New Faculty Orientation, College Business Meetings, Town Halls, various awards receptions, Annual Gala, Retreats, etc. Independently sets yearly schedule for Deans Executive Team (ET) Meetings, Dean's Office Team (DOT) Meetings and annual reviews for Department heads, Deputy and Associate Deans, and Dean's Office staff.
- Sets schedule for quarterly budget meetings with CHS Departments.
- Provides significant support for all high-level meetings and fore mentions events.
- Drafts agendas and schedule guest presenters for College Business and ET Meetings coordinating their technical needs and any handouts for their presentations.
- Edits PowerPoint presentation and official recorder of minutes for all College Business Meetings.
- Allocates/supports UD procard expenditures in Works, reviews/supports expenditures in the manager role for Dean, Deputy Dean, Associate Dean of Administrations & Operations and Business Analyst II. Independent reviewer for STAR CITA procard expenditures.
- Manages the Dean's Office central file system, recommending changes when needed, implementing standards driven by UD policy and procedures. Meets annually with archive representative for yearly audit.¿ Word processing documents produced typically require composing correspondence, invitations, announcements, formatting, table creation and graphics. ¿ Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree and three years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of administrative support practices and procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with a wide range of constituencies both within and outside the university.
- Ability to understand, explain, and apply rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures desired.
- Skill in applying basic and advanced tools used in word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to work independently, anticipate issues and proactively seek resolutions.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently, and skill in organizing resources and establishing and adjusting priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to oversee the work of lower-level clerical employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to verify accuracy of information, resolve discrepancies and follow-up on outstanding activities.
- Skill in collecting, compiling, evaluating and analyzing information from a variety of sources.
- Skill in drawing conclusions and developing solutions to operational or service problems.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend