Limited Term Researcher, Biological Sciences (Sutherland Lab)
Job no: 496706
Work type: Staff
Categories: Research & Laboratory, Full Time
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Sutherland Lab (https://www.bio.udel.edu/people/msuther) in the Department of Biological Sciences (https://www.bio.udel.edu/) at the University of Delaware is seeking a limited term researcher. The Sutherland Lab studies the fundamental process of bacterial cytochrome c biogenesis using biochemical, genetic and molecular biology approaches. Under the supervision of Dr. Sutherland the limited term researcher will conduct experiments to support the lab research and will assist with lab management duties such as ordering, inventory and ensuring compliance with all university policies. This NIH funded position offers the opportunity for motivated candidates to gain technical and leadership skills in a growing lab at UD.
• Plan, organize, and conduct research on recombinantly expressed and affinity purified proteins.
• Operate basic laboratory equipment (centrifuges, sonicator, pH meters, analytical balances, and gel documentation systems).
• Perform biochemical techniques including protein expression, protein purification, protein analysis, heme stain, UV-vis spectroscopy.
• Willingness to learn new techniques, take initiative and pivot when research priorities change
• Provide technical assistance to others in the lab as needed.
• Maintain laboratory stocks, records and strains.
• Maintain an inventory of lab supplies and equipment, reorder lab supplies, and track new orders of equipment and supplies.
• Comply with Department of Environmental Health and Safety, OSHA, and biohazard safety standards and promote workplace safety.
• Participate in laboratory meetings and presents scientific projects at departmental meetings.
A strong interest basic biological research and demonstrated organizational abilities is necessary. The preferred candidate will have a BS or MS in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology or a related field with at least 1 year of bench experience. Candidates with experience in recombinant protein expression, membrane protein purification and/or cloning are encouraged to apply. Candidates are expected to have knowledge of standard microbiology and biochemical principles and research methods, as well knowledge of basic laboratory equipment operation. Additionally, the preferred candidate should have excellent organization skills; excellent written and oral communication skills; knowledge and skill working with Microsoft software (Excel, word, powerpoint); demonstrate the ability to work independently and contribute to a team environment; help to create and maintain a positive and supportive laboratory environment; be enthusiastic about learning new techniques.
• Work environment may include working in a cold room for short periods of time.
• Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
• Without assistance, must be able to lift up to 20 lbs.
• Requires dexterity in handling delicate and hazardous materials.
• The ability to accurately discern colors and measure laboratory materials.
• On occasion be able to work various or long hours due to experiment timing
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend