Literature and Africana Studies Librarian, Library
Job no: 496663
Work type: Staff
Categories: Libraries & Museums, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 30E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press seeks an outstanding individual to hold the position of Librarian for Literature and Africana Studies to join a team of colleagues in the delivery of excellent and responsive research, information and instructional services. The position reports to the Head, Reference and Instructional Services Department. The position also has a reporting responsibility to the Head, Collection Management and Licensed Electronic Content Department for collection-related activities.
The librarian serves as a subject specialist for English and American Literature, Africana Studies, Theatre and possibly other humanities disciplines.
- Active collaboration with faculty and library staff to foster quality in teaching, research and outreach for assigned disciplines;
- Provide research consultation and reference services;
- Support digital scholarship and other scholarly communication initiatives and promote open educational resources;
- Develop and offer a robust information literacy program;
- Develop instructional and outreach materials including course guides and subject guides;
- Manage and develop robust electronic, multimedia, and print collections to support the research and teaching needs;
- In collaboration with others, provide general reference services in person and online, including some evening and weekend hours;
- Active engagement in professional development and other scholarly activities.
- ALA-accredited graduate library degree;
- Demonstrated knowledge of information sources and research methodologies related to English and American literature and/or Africana Studies;
- Experience and knowledge of best practices in instruction and teaching;
- Ability to design and create web-based and print instructional materials;
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal communication and public presentation skills;
- Strong commitment to service excellence and outreach;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and enthusiasm for the integration of new technologies into the delivery of information services;
- Awareness of digital scholarship trends and principles; familiarity with institutional repository tools and practices;
- Commitment to fostering a diverse and anti-racist educational environment and workplace and an ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team-based environment;
- Commitment to professional growth.
- Advanced degree in English or American literature, Africana Studies, or a related discipline;
- Experience supporting scholarship at the intersection of English and American Literature and Africana Studies
- Experience developing research collections and services in an academic or research library setting;
- Experience participating in digital humanities initiatives.
General Information: The University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press is committed to student success, scholarly research and inclusive excellence. The Library is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion, accessibility and antiracism and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. The Library collaborates with strategic campus partners to achieve these priorities, as well as with national professional organizations including the Association of Research Libraries, Center for Research Libraries, Coalition for Networked Information, Council on Library and Information Resources, Digital Library Federation, OCLC Research Partnership, SPARC, HathiTrust, the National Digital Stewardship Alliance, the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) and the ACRL Diversity Alliance. More information about the Library is available at: library.udel.edu
Rank: Appointment expected at the rank of Assistant Librarian, pay grade 29E (less than 3 years) OR Senior Assistant Librarian, pay grade 30E (3-8 years). More information about the University of Delaware Library Rank and Promotion System is available at: library.udel.edu/about/employment/rank-and-promotion-system/
Benefits: 22 vacation days. Generous 403B retirement plan. Tuition remission for dependents and spouses, and course fee waiver for employee. Full information about University of Delaware benefits is available at: www.udel.edu/faculty-staff/human-resources/benefits/
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend