Medical Services Representative, Student Health Services
Job no: 494842
Work type: Staff
Categories: Student Affairs & Services, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 26N
This is a full-time ten-month position, August 16 through June 15, starting March 16, 2020, or as soon as possible, thereafter.
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Student Health Services (SHS) is the primary student health unit on the University of Delaware Campus. Situated within the Division of Student Life, SHS provides essential services and support to students and campus stakeholders to enhance the development of personal and social responsibility and to foster safe, healthy, inclusive, and supportive communities at UD. SHS partners with students and staff to develop vibrant inclusive environments which encourage student success and engagement, a culture of care for all members, values-congruent decision-making, and the cultivation of skills and knowledge so students may become citizens and leaders in our increasingly global society. Staff members support the Mission and Vision of Student Health Services as well as those of the Division of Student Life to ensure student success.
This position is key to accomplishing the mission of SHS. Under the general supervision of the Senior Business Administrator, this position’s principal emphasis is greeting patients and consulting with patient by phone to determine the service needed and urgency. As a member of the Student Health Service team, this position has shared responsibilities for responding in-person or by phone to inquiries from students, parents, and the general University community. Position requires excellent interpersonal skills including keen listening skills and problem-solving skills and maintaining sensitivity to the patient’s privacy at all times. Employee obtains messages from other health care providers regarding abnormal diagnostic tests and other patient problems. Employee uses electronic medical record to transmit messages, incorporate test results, schedule appointments, record immunization information, etc.. Handles highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Screens student requests for services, in person or by phone, determines eligibility for services and determines urgency of need.
- Assesses student needs and uses electronic appointment system to set appointments for students. Greets clients and assists them with completing initial forms as appropriate. Follows FERPA and HIPAA privacy rights.
- Uses electronic medical record and State of Delaware Clinical Laboratory System to route lab test requests and to receive lab test results and reports Use electronic medical record to relay messages to providers. Sends and receives faxes as needed; imports documents in electronic medical record.
- Enters patient insurance information into electronic medical record and processes insurance claims.
- Arranges appointments for outside care and obtains insurance pre-approval. Arranges medical transports.
- Sends medical information by mail or fax following approved medical release. Arranges for transfer of records from outside facilities.
- Arranges and picks up paper records from University of Delaware Archives Office.
- Arranges group sessions for students planning to travel abroad, provides health information about travel to areas students are traveling to, schedules immunizations, etc. Works with English Language Institute to assure that their students are properly immunized and have appropriate tuberculin screening. Works with students to assist them in meeting immunization requirements, using electronic medical record and consultation with staff to determine compliance and in managing registration holds.
- Provides supervision and guidance to student workers and temporary hourly employees. Participates in Student Health Quality Improvement Program. Provides temporary coverage in the Women’s Health Service and Sports Medicine Center when needed. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or GED with three years of clerical experience preferably involving public contact and in a medical office.
- Medical office program training.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to interpret medical records and previous patient interaction preferred.
- Experience preparing and submitting insurance claims preferred.
- Proficient computer skills including use of Microsoft Office.
- Experience with an electronic medical record preferred.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Sensitivity to the needs of others.
- Ability to provide accurate sensitive service to patients and to interact well with health care professionals.
- Ability to maintain good public relations and communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Position requires employee to be able to lift, with or without assistance, equipment weighing up to 10 pounds. Position requires employee to be able to sit for prolonged periods of times.
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend