Academic Support Coordinator, Political Science & International Relations
Job no: 494733
Work type: Staff
Categories: Administrative Support, Student Affairs & Services, Full Time
Context of the Job:
Under the limited supervision of the Business Administrator, the Academic Support Coordinator maintains well organized systems of office practices to support the operations of the POSCIR Department and its administrative needs. Performs a variety of moderate to complex administrative and office duties including the timely processing of correspondence, outreach communication, website updates, and event planning. Duties also include collection, compilation, and organization of information or data; and generation of reports and records. Prepares administrative forms which may contain confidential information. Ensures compliance with internal and external administrative policies and procedures, determines priorities, and resolves administrative issues. Deals independently with faculty, students, and University administrative personnel. This position works closely with the Director of Graduate Studies and the Department Chair on projects related to the Graduate Program. This position is the primary contact for the Department of Political Science and International Relations, interacting with various diverse internal and external constituencies. The principal emphasis is on performing a variety of secretarial duties for which independent judgment is required in handling confidential and non-routine matters.
- Serves as point of contact for all political science and international relations graduate students.
- Provides complex administrative support to department chair, business administrator, graduate studies director, and department faculty on graduate student matters.
- Manages and updates graduate student records and files. Checks forms for completeness and accuracy, including applications for advanced degrees and change of classification forms. Verifies that degree requirements for graduation have been met. Responds to inquiries, investigates, and resolves problems related to graduate transactions handled by the department. Interprets and explains college and University policies and procedures to faculty and graduate students.
- Supports graduate recruiting, admission and orientation processes. Processes and updates recruiting and program brochures and information. Organizes and manages graduate student orientation week. Organizes and directs efforts to recruit graduate students.
- Compiles, verifies and analyzes reports regarding the graduate program including statistical reports. Keeps records of placement of graduates and records of graduate student funding.
- Responsible for maintaining department website using SharePoint. Updating current news, events, and department program information. Assist in designing and creating new webpages to enhance the departments outreach.
- Works with the Director of Graduate Studies on edits to the UD Course Catalog to reflect changes in graduate courses and degree requirements.
- Develops content to promote and provide updates on the Department via various social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Takes lead on managing and approving graduate student travel reimbursement request and expense reports. Ensure charges are allowable and in line with Department and University policy.
- Supports Comprehensive Exam Procedures by keeping track of roster of faculty proctors, notifying graduate students of exam dates, scheduling exam room and collecting exams via email
- Assigns Graduate student advisees to faculty at the beginning of each semester.
- Assists and serves as a backup to the Academic Program Coordinator inputting course schedules for Political Science and International Relations classes utilizing UDSIS and COGNOS.
- Utilizes electronic systems such as UDSIS, COGNOS, PeopleSoft, Works/Concur credit card system, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Prepares fall and spring department course bulletins.
- Administrator for online student course evaluations.
- Handles logistics for department functions including welcome receptions, student orientations, recruiting events, and career presentations.
- Provides general office support such as answering telephones, printing documents, distributing mail, and fielding questions from walk-in visitors.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED and three to five years related experience.
- Experience in an education-related setting preferred.
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures, business English and proof reading and editing skills.
- Ability to grasp, retain, and disseminate an extensive and varied body of information.
- Ability to handle detail-oriented time-sensitive work tasks.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments concurrently.
- Strong work ethic, reliability, organization skills and an ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate and work productively with a range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, and email software.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, SharePoint, Outlook), Adobe Acrobat, electronic communication, and internet research.
- Familiarity with the UD Student Information System (UDSIS), SLATE graduate application system, and graduate student policies and procedures would be a plus.
- Required to infrequently work evenings in support of department events.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend