Farm Assistant III*
Job no: 494691
Work type: Staff
Categories: Full Time
PAY GRADE: 27N
CONTEXT OF JOB:
Under limited supervision, performs and coordinates farm operations, maintenance work and repairs on University farm equipment, vehicles, machinery and buildings including heating, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, mechanic and masonry work. May provide supervision to part time personnel. The principal emphasis is on farm operations that include hands-on activities focusing on farm equipment and maintenance. Independent judgment is required to assess, prioritize and schedule jobs.
• Assists in planning and implementing of scheduling of farm operations and maintenance and Repairs of machinery and buildings.
• Takes appropriate action regarding emergency repairs or replacements regarding agricultural equipment and vehicles.
• Orders and maintains parts, supplies, and inventory.
• Assists in scheduling preventive maintenance/repairs and keeping records of work performed on equipment and vehicles.
• Ensure that safety procedures are followed.
• Trains and supervises Farm Assistants.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS/OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURES:
The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
• Minimum of a high school diploma or GED with five or more years of extensive machinery, supervisory and farm-operations experience.
• Knowledge of general practices and operations of equipment as well as advanced and comprehensive knowledge of heating, plumbing, electrical, carpentry and masonry work.
• Ability to coordinate multiple projects concurrently.
• Ability and willingness to learn and accept new ideas, techniques and responsibilities.
• Interpersonal skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
Basic computing skills, with the ability to use email, internet, and MS Office software such as Word and Excel.
With or without assistance, must be able to routinely lift up to 50 pounds. Must be able to work in cramped areas and positions for extended periods of time, climb ladders in excess of 50 feet, and work above floor level or in pits. Required to maintain a valid CDL motor vehicle operator's license. Employment is dependent upon passing a University-specified medical evaluation related to the use of respiratory protection equipment. May be required to obtain and maintain a valid pesticide applicator's license.
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend