Web, Database, & Applications Programmer
Job no: 494410
Work type: Staff
Categories: Information Technology, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 30S
CONTEXT OF JOB:
Under the general direction of the Director of College Computing Operations in the College of Earth, Ocean, and Environment IT department, the Web, Database, & Applications Programmer conceptualizes solutions, plans, programs, implements and maintains high quality database and web applications to support the administrative, teaching, research, and outreach functions of the college. Also, oversees all phases of computer system hardware and software design, implementation, management, security and administration for a multi-operating-system web and application platform. Programs and manages the implementation of an appropriate technical infrastructure and of operational procedures; oversees the quality and presentation of published web content; and supervises and directs external programmers and associates. This position will be required to support both the Lewes and Newark campus.
- Interact with college faculty, staff, and students to determine and interpret application requirements. Act as the primary point of liaison with users and other departments to determine the tactical direction of the college’s web and database applications, and plan, design, program, implement and maintain those applications. Analyze the college’s needs and evaluate and recommend strategic solutions to the Director of CCO, remaining current with industry advancements.
- Plan, design, program, and implement advanced, integrated, and secure information database applications.
- Generate advanced, integrated, and secure websites and web-based applications.
- Maintain both local and cloud-based web solutions keeping them patched and current.
- Stay current on industry standard accessibility requirements and implement solutions to meet those standards.
- Work with server and systems support personnel to ensure hardware, software, and networking is properly configured to securely support the web and database applications in use at the college.
- Perform ongoing evaluation of the college’s web and database software and hardware to ensure the continued and future effectiveness and efficiency of the applications.
- Maintain a proficiency in multiple computer programming languages and environments needed for application and web-page development. Should include: C++. Java. Visual Basic, HTML, ASP. VB Script, Jscript, XML, PERL and various other batch and scripting languages.
- Act as a lead consultant for users at the college, providing recommendations for web and database solutions and develop new procedures and programs to fulfill them.
- Research and develop new and innovative ways of data collection, analysis, organization, presentation and distribution for multiple international research and development programs.
- Serve as a computer systems administrator. To design, interface and debug local, national and international computer network connections in accordance with UD-IT requirements and practices.
- Migrate existing systems and operations to different hardware and/or software platforms that are identified as being beneficial to the objectives of the group.
- Advise programmers and other professionals and employees that are hired to develop or to assist in the development of various custom applications, data interfaces and online information content.
- Monitor and maintain computer network security for the various college groups.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other job-related discipline and five years’ experience.
- Microsoft certification preferred and other vendor certifications are highly desired.
- Advanced database development and programming experience with Microsoft SQL Server.
- Experience in several World Wide Web programming languages and capable of creating, maintaining and troubleshooting complex dynamic web applications.
- Advanced configuration and support experience with Microsoft IIS Server.
- Working knowledge of industry standard database, web, and cloud server products.
- High level of proficiency and programming skills with HTML, .NET, Java, XML, ASP, CSS, Drupal, WordPress, and other web-based programming languages.
- Experience in a University computing service environment is highly desirable.
- Experience with Windows 10, 2008R2 and above, TCP/IP, and security issues as well as commonly used security tools.
- Up-to-date knowledge of computer equipment and networking capabilities.
- Knowledge of the principles, procedures and standards of integrated Web site structure/design and current authoring languages including multimedia, editing/authoring tools, and related Web site technologies.
- Ability to work independently, have a high level of creativity, and possess superior analytical and problem solving skills.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds and to maintain a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize work.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the operation and structure of University standard word processing, presentation, database, electronic mail, and spreadsheet software packages; networking, server hardware and software; and knowledge of current technological developments.
- The ability to lift and move, with or without assistance, computing related equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend