Dairy Plant Manager, UDairy Creamery
Job no: 500679
College / VP Area: College of Ag & Natural Res
Work type: Staff
Categories: Facilities Management, Full Time
Note: This is a 40 hour/week position.
Context of the Job:
Under limited direction of the UDairy Creamery Director in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR), the Dairy Plant Manager (‘manager’) oversees and operates the production facility, abiding by local and federal regulations to create safe and high-quality dairy products. The manager is responsible for managing plant activities including daily production, equipment cleaning, sanitizing and maintenance; inventory and ordering of ingredients; fulfillment of orders, packaging, storage and distribution to UDairy Storefronts and wholesale accounts; quality and microbiology lab testing of raw milk, finished products, and the environment; and record keeping of all plant procedures and operations.
The manager is part of a team of 7 full-time employees and responsible for direct supervision of the Lab Coordinator (LC) and Assistant Plant Manager (AM). In addition, the manager is responsible for interviewing, hiring and training 4-10 student interns each year.
Production and Compliance Oversight
- Collaborates with the Creamery Flagship Manager to create a production schedule of cheese, ice cream mix, ice cream and other dairy products needed to meet pars at the flagship and café locations, event and distribution needs. Ensures products are made to meet UDairy Creamery recipes and quality standards.
- Manages inventory of raw ingredients and finished products.
- Oversees development and maintenance and enforcement of the Food Safety Plan. This includes but is not limited to, HACCP procedures, SOP’s, SSOP’s, Material Data Sheets, Food Safety Plans and requirements for compliance with the Food Safety Modernization Act.
- Oversees record keeping and documentation required by FDA and USDA, including but not limited to pasteurization charts, sanitation records, records of manufacture for all products, certificates of analysis for ingredients, and packaging information.
- Oversees performance of required tests on raw product, ingredients, and finished product to verify compliance with federal and state standards of identity and food safety. These include (but are not limited to) antibiotic residue, bacteriological (coliform and aerobic plate counts), compositional (fats, solids, protein), environmental testing, enzymatic assays on products made and distributed by UDairy Creamery, and chemical testing of cleaning solutions.
- Ensures the proper cleaning and sanitizing of all dairy equipment and facilities according to the Food Safety Plan, the GMPs and Pasteurized Milk Ordinance (PMO) standards.
- Manages proper labeling, packaging and storage of all dairy products in compliance with FDA and FSMA regulations.
- Ensures the proper documentation for the receipt of raw milk from UD farm, and coordinates raw milk pick up with farm management with maintaining the dairy plant’s Grade A Receiving Station Rating as well as the Dairy Farm’s Grade A farm rating.
- Accompanies inspectors during plant audits and inspections.
Staffing and Personnel Management
- Supervises the Lab Coordinator and Plant Assistant Manager. Manage workloads and projects, conduct yearly evaluations, and make recommendations on improved job performance.
- Oversees process of interviewing, hiring, and training students and miscellaneous wage employees.
- Manages the scheduling of employees and students.
Education and Outreach
- Supports the educational mission of the UDairy Creamery & Animal and Food Science Department. Ensures that the activities of the plant are in alignment with educational goals.
- Trains, teaches and supervises faculty, staff and students on equipment in plant and ensures proper record keeping and GMPs are being followed.
- Oversees process of scheduling faculty and student use of the space for classes and research.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory of ingredients and dairy products including aging products and those available for sale.
- Oversees process of managing lab inventory and supply ordering. Ensures budget is being adhered to.
- Fulfills orders of cheese, ice cream, and other dairy products.
- Responsible for submitting all invoices and processing payroll for employees.
- Assists Director in writing Creamery budgets and financial statements concerning plant expenses.
- Conducts general maintenance on equipment and monitors equipment for large maintenance needs and services needed from UD Maintenance or external maintenance providers.
- Manages inventory of aging room and rotation of cheeses.
- Responsible for complying with university policies, procedures, and best practices regarding protecting data and following UD data governance rules.
- Performs other job job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and five years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Degree in Microbiology, Food Science, Dairy Science or closely related field preferred.
- Experience managing inventory.
- Experience making ice cream.
- Experience making other dairy products preferred.
- Experience using and maintaining pasteurization equipment.
- Knowledge of computer programs and computerized information systems.
- Ability to develop, plan, implement and analyze written plans, documentations, records and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of USDA, FDA, DHSS and FSMA regulations.
- Ability to use forklift a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures and backgrounds.
- Must be or become PCQI certified within 3 months of hiring.
- Must be ServeSafe Certified.
- Must become a certified milk hauler/sampler within 60 days.
- Valid Driver’s License required to operate University vehicles as needed.
- The 40-hour workweek could require working four 10-hour days.
- With or without assistance, must be able to move and/or lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Moderate physical activity. Ability stand/walk/bend for extended periods of time.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend