Director of Business Philanthropy & Engagement, University Development
Job no: 500321
College / VP Area: Development & Alumni Rel
Work type: Staff
Categories: Development & Alumni Relations, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 32S
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under limited direction of the Deputy AD, External Relations and Revenue Generation, the Director of Business Philanthropy & Engagement for Athletics Community & Campus Recreation (DACCR) is responsible for developing, implementing, and assessing the department wide strategy for business philanthropy and engagement.
This position will lead the engagement and coordination across the department, which includes the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of businesses. Opportunities across DACCR will include but are not limited to gifts, sponsorship, internships, jobs, facility rentals, booking events and other business revenue for DACCR. The position will work closely with Development Leadership, the Athletics Director, Head Coaches, Development colleagues, University colleagues as appropriate and other DACCR staff for all sources of support.
- Develop, implement, and assess the department wide business philanthropy and engagement strategy.
- Establish strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward potential businesses. Opportunities will include but are not limited to gifts, sponsorship, internships, jobs, facility rentals, booking event and Name, Image and Likeness.
- Develop proposals and coordinate efforts with the Director of Athletics, Athletics Development team, Delaware Sports Properties team and other university partners to secure resources.
- Raise $1-2 million+ in business revenue annually.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 50 business prospects.
- Maintain an aggressive visitation schedule and travel as necessary to various parts of the region, generally 8-10 visits per month.
- Lead, coordinate and manage regularly scheduled meetings with Government Relations, Development and Alumni Relations and DACCR team members to ensure effective communication and collaboration on business prospects.
- Utilize Salesforce to track, measure and evaluate progress on business prospects to effectively determine success and opportunities for growth. Create and share reports with relevant stakeholders to ensure collaboration and optimization.
- Establish and track the Objectives and Key Results of the business engagement program.
- Work in conjunction with External Relations and Delaware Sports Properties departments to maximize revenue growth, community engagement and event experience to enhance the University of Delaware Athletic Department brand awareness and business client growth.
- Create a marketing and communication plan for the business engagement program. This includes but is not limited to social media presence, a web page, content for leave behind materials, talking points for internal stakeholders to be able to communicate effectively around the business engagement program to external audiences.
- Create and participate in events that engage businesses. This includes but is not limited to the 302 Tour, Business Engagement Forums, State Chamber events, Legislative Day.
- Act as the point person for all statewide memberships. This includes but is not limited to Delaware State Chamber of Commerce, New Castle Chamber, Leadership Alliance of Southern Delaware.
- Responsible for the management of the Business Philanthropy and Engagement Budget.
- Lead statewide strategy for DACCR which includes developing systems and processes for every varsity athletic team to implement a camp, clinic, scrimmage or community service event outside of Newark to expand the University's reach in the state.
- Determine naming rights strategy for businesses to invest in DACCR capital projects through philanthropic support or marketing activations.
- Lead business strategy for Name, Image, Likeness (NIL) working group within Delaware Athletics.
- Leadership and Liaison Roles
- Serve on the DACCR External Relations Leadership Team.
- Join Frontline fundraisers meeting in DAR.
- Serve as liaison to Associate VP, Corporate Engagement and Interim Director of Government Relations.
- Serve as strategy partner for Learfield GM on business that have or could have sponsorships with DACCR.
- Bachelor's degree with six years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree preferred or training and work experience at a level which equates to an advanced degree.
- Prior revenue generating experience.
- Significant knowledge of deferred giving arrangements
- Ability to deliver compelling, coherent messages in one-to-one, small group and large group and corporate settings.
- Strong written, verbal, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment within a complex University setting.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- An understanding of the nature and needs of a research university, vision, creativity and a sense of balance and perspective are highly desirable.
- Demonstrated understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
- Ability and willingness to work occasional nights and weekends.
- Ability to travel locally, regionally, and nationally as needed to meet with donors and prospects.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend