Building Manager, College of Health Sciences
Job no: 500039
College / VP Area: College of Health Sciences
Work type: Staff
Categories: Facilities Management, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 30E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The College of Health Sciences is leading the charge in creating new models for translational research, inter-professional education, and innovative healthcare delivery in a complex and rapidly changing environment. The College is also playing a leading role on the University’s STAR (Science, Technology, and Advanced Research) Campus with the creation of the Health Sciences Complex, which includes state-of-the-art research, education, and meeting facilities which are directly linked to our clinical care in the Physical Therapy clinic, the Speech, Language, Hearing clinic and the Nurse Managed Health Center clinics.
Under limited supervision of the Director of Facilities Planning, the CHS Building Manager performs complex administrative duties and tasks involved with the Health Sciences Complex, in support of a variety of departments and programs located on the site. The CHS Building Manager prioritizes and resolves administrative issues using independent judgment, initiative and problem-solving skills. The incumbent coordinates and ensures the implementation of, and compliance with, internal and external administrative policies and procedures. A significant aspect of the work is to support the activities of the building while expanding outreach seamlessly and professionally to visitors/community members/potential tenants. In addition, it will be critical to proactively support the Colleges vision for wide-ranging initiatives that advance the current programs and anticipated growth of the Complex.
- Manages a Miscellaneous Wage Staff and Student Employees to coordinate activities (e.g., shipments, maintenance requests, property procedures, building meetings, safety meetings, building communications, snow plowing, grass cutting, etc.).
- Enforces building procedures.
- Serves as point of contact for building safety and Emergency Planning Preparedness; chairs the STAR Safety Committee.
- Contacts building engineer to have keys cut on site.
- Serves as liaison between building occupants in offices/labs/clinics and property manager, Delle Donne Associates.
- Streamlines communication relating to facilities issues, building repairs, new tenant tours and other needs.
- Maintains database of all change orders, invoices, etc. Works with Delle Donne to ensure submission and completion of Tenant Request Forms and Incident Request Forms.
- Coordinates special deliveries as requested (lab materials, new equipment) working closely with internal/external vendors including movers, etc.
- Serves as primary contact to custodial company coordinating cleaning schedules around events, delivery of hand sanitation stations, paper towel & soap dispensers, as well as ongoing service communication.
- Oversees communications requests to have additional phone lines/computer lines installed.
- Gives tours of the building to internal and external groups and individuals, ensuring tour talking points are current; circulates updates to administrative assistants/leads in the building.
- Provides additional related support to building occupants, as needed.
- Updates and disseminates STAR Directory.
- Maintains the STAR-Campus@udel.edu, STAR-Campus-Students@udel.edu, and STAR-Studentemployees@udel.edu google email address lists.
- Includes all departments in communications/planning.
- Represents the College in interactions with all institutional divisions as well as externally to students and their parents, and/or the general public.
- Communicates regularly with Colleges, University departments and offices, and external individuals and groups.
- Assists and supports the CHS Director of Facilities Planning and the Dean in the daily operation and administration for required tasks that support departments and programs located on the Health Sciences Complex. This requires cross-departmental and functional coordination with administrative staff, department/program leadership, and internal/external vendors.
- Answers questions and directs to other offices as needed.
- Oversees the monitoring and updating of information relate to general published information (i.e., contact numbers, office hours, event details) for the Health Sciences Complex and the STAR Tower.
- Works with the Events Manager on events at STAR as scheduled by the Dean that support the College of Health Sciences faculty/staff, students, donor and alumni, especially those connected to the Health Sciences Complex, which may include new events such as hard hat tours, open houses, and other events but also includes existing events scheduled for the college.
- Word processing documents produced typically require composing correspondence, formatting, tables/columns creation, graphics, use of macros and merging information from different documents/applications.
- Spreadsheets produced typically require developing formulas for calculations, analyzing data to make projections, creating a spreadsheet database, query database and developing/printing reports, create and use macros, recording/arranging data, creating charts/graphs.
- Database applications typically require creating and maintaining the database as the sole support and includes activities such as performing calculations and embedding objects, design, create and edit file structures; sort/filter tables; and create/modify queries.
- Presentations typically require developing layout, outline, slide presentation and handouts to create original presentations.
- Conducts research and analyses of unit services or other situations requiring unit action to determine, implement or authorize an appropriate course of action.
- Briefs management on potential areas of difficulties.
- Completes high-level requests, resolves operations issues, serves as liaison between building occupants/tenants and property management and external vendors, and provides follow up on pending issues awaiting response or action.
- Responsible for coordinating proper maintenance of the building and premises to keep in safe, clean, and optimal working order. Plans and manages facility central services such as reception desk, and works with outside vendors to coordinate security, custodial services, waste disposal, ticket resolutions with UD Parking Services, and ad-hoc snow removal requirements and landscaping projects.
- Manages ad hoc operational costs for the Health Sciences Complex and STAR Tower to adequately maintain the premises, ensuring that expenditures work toward creating a more efficient work environment. Develops and implements cost reduction initiatives. Monitors expenses and payments.
- Develops and implements ad hoc preventative maintenance programs, i.e. for anatomy lab scissor lift, cadaver dissection tables, morgue-style coolers; initiated a recalibration and replacement schedule for formaldehyde sensors. Coordinates maintenance of the Demonstration Kitchen including the cleaning of its grease traps, the inspection of its Fire Suppression System, the cleaning its exhaust hood, and the performance of an annual deep cleaning.
- Coordinates the distribution, completion, and re-submission of CHS’s Yearly Departmental Equipment Surveys.
- Under the supervision of the CHS Director of Facilities Planning, responsible for overseeing planning, budgeting, and scheduling all facility refurbishment and renovations. Provides prompt response to requests and issues from facility occupants. Recommends furniture options, signage, paint colors, etc. as well as coordinates delivery/installation.
- Obtains quotes from and negotiates contracts with contractors who work on the property, ensuring that work is on schedule, within budget, and completed to the contracted agreement.
- Obtains quotes from vendors and suppliers; calculates and compares costs for goods and services to maximize cost-effectiveness; negotiates contracts to optimize delivery and cost saving; coordinates and monitors activities of contract suppliers; manages contractor and vendor relationships; manages and reviews service contracts to ensure facility management needs are being met; ensures delivery schedules, quantity and quality criteria are met; checks completed work by contractors and vendors; and verifies payment and invoicing match contract pricing.
- In coordination with the Chief of Staff and Director of Facilities Planning, plans and monitors appropriate staffing levels for front desk. Interviews, hires, and trains all student workers to provide consistent superior service; schedules student worker shifts. Trains, assigns tasks/projects, and checks the work of student workers, miscellaneous wage staff, and one building coordinator.
- Responsible for maintenance of current and development of new site amenities. Coordinates food truck vendors and resource tables/bulletin boards.
- Facilitates research subject recruitment, cadaver donations, and promotion of events open to the community.
- In concert with the CHS Director of Facilities Planning, translates strategy to action, communicating the Dean’s strategic direction and aligning facilities planning and resources to accomplish programmatic needs in the Health Sciences Complex and STAR Tower.
- In coordination with the Dean and the Director of College Facilities Planning, conducts ongoing review of space management and makes recommendations to use available space more efficiently and strategically.
- Responsible for the updating of all occupancy layouts for the HSC, STAR Tower and for CHS spaces in McDowell Hall, Willard Hall, Carpenter Sports Building, Fred Rust Ice Arena, DBI, and BPI.
- Responsible for accuracy and updates for the Health Sciences Complex and STAR Tower space surveys.
- Coordinates all office moves within the Health Sciences Complex and the STAR Tower.
- Under the supervision of the Director of Facilities Planning, coordinates recurring and ad hoc meetings between architects, user groups, property managers, and University Facilities & Real Estate for renovations within the STAR Health Sciences Complex and STAR Tower. Uses best practices learned from supervising the operation of these buildings to inform development of new spaces. Monitors timelines to ensure that deadlines are met and manages relationships with vendors.
- Manages and maintains all building fob and key access. Communicates closely with building engineer and external security vendors (ADT and CW Security) and is on call 24/7 for problem resolution (doors not opening/locking, etc.).
- Coordinates with UD Environmental Health & Safety, ensures compliance with health and safety standards and industry codes. Coordinates with the UD Fire Marshal for building-wide fire drills & safety meetings. Serves as STAR Safety Committee Chair. Coordinates and maintains records for lab inspections/compliance. Conducts and documents regular facilities inspections and ensure post-inspection training occurs to address any issues.
- Responsible for tracking and maintaining all submitted incident and injury reports as well as forwarding to proper departments (Risk Management, EHS, property manager).
- Designated building liaison with Parking Services for resolving building-related parking issues (ticket voiding, parking permit information, etc.). Ensures the proper operation of security camera monitoring to assist patients with drop off/pickup.
- Along with the Director of College Facilities Planning, responds to urgent maintenance calls 24/7 in coordination with building engineers, utility companies, etc. in relation to facility and equipment alarms and system failures.
- Represents the College to other University divisions as well as externally to community partners, government agencies, students and their parents, and the general public as it relates to Health Sciences Complex and the College of Health Sciences. Triages and addresses any issues that arise with patients or visitors.
- Consistently provides superior service to patients, research subjects, community partners, prospective students and their families, and potential STAR Campus tenants.
- Consistently promotes clinic and research services and events to all who visit the building. Provides resolution support when scheduling conflicts occur.
- Leads frequent tours of the building for community partners, potential tenants for the STAR Campus, prospective students, staff, faculty, existing students as well as new UD employees. Coordinates tour demonstrations as well as in-depth clinic visits.
- Coordinates with UD departments including IT Services, Public Safety, Facilities, Parking and Transportation Services, Environment Health & Safety, Admissions, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, College of Engineering, and Mail Services.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Provides clear and effective written and verbal communication to a wide range of position levels from various institutions.
- Coordinates the development, evaluation, and dissemination of program policies, procedures, and materials. Develops operational processes and procedures as well as manuals, as needed.
- Works behind the scenes to solve problems, mediate disputes, and manages cohesiveness in the complex.
- Performs other duties as needed to meet needs of the Director of Facilities Planning, the Dean, the College, the STAR Health Sciences Complex and the STAR Tower.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business or other related field and four years of experience in a related area, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Skill in collecting, compiling, evaluating and analyzing information from a variety of sources.
- Skill in drawing conclusions and developing solutions to operational or service problems.
- Skill in applying basic and advanced tools used in Adobe, Smartsheets as well as in the Microsoft Office and Google software suites.
- Effective execution will require excellent project management skills, attention to detail, and collaboration with senior individuals from throughout the College.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently, and skill in organizing resources and establishing/adjusting priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide range of constituencies both within and outside the university and ability to adjust to changing environment essential.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments; skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Ability to develop and maintain processes and procedures; plan, organize, implement, evaluate, and modify facilities according to College strategies; interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to work independently, anticipate issues and proactively seek resolutions.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with internal colleagues and external partners, including the ability to develop and strengthen partnerships.
- Ability to exercise the utmost confidentiality in every aspect.
- Ability to meet and deal effectively with departmental personnel, University entities, outside agencies, and the public.
- Ability to think, reason, and make sound judgments on how responsibilities are completed in compliance with College standards and guidelines.
- Knowledge and understanding of College organization, goals and objectives, and policies and procedures.
- Strategic planning skills to support the College’s efforts to effect change in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills that promote productivity, dedication, and creativity.
- Ability to organize, delegate and establish meaningful goals.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend