Communications Specialist II, Editorial Communications
Job no: 499819
College / VP Area: Vice Prov for Grad & Prof Ed
Work type: Staff
Categories: Communications & Public Relations, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 30E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The University of Delaware Graduate College is responsible for the growth and vitality of UD graduate programs and research. The Graduate College is a complex unit engaging with multiple internal and external constituencies, including current and prospective graduate students, professional and continuing studies students, and lifelong learners. The College also works closely with postdoctoral researchers, the Graduate College Council, the Faculty Senate, the Graduate Student Government, the deans’ offices of the other disciplinary colleges, the program directors of more than 200 graduate programs, alumni, and industry representatives.
The Graduate College is home to a collection of interdisciplinary doctoral, master’s and certificate programs that are wholly managed within the college. It is also home to UD’s Division of Professional and Continuing Studies, Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes, UD Online, ACCESS Center and Testing Center.
Under the general direction of the Director of Communications for the Graduate College, this position focuses on writing compelling content in support of credit, noncredit and OLLI programs. The Communications Specialist II also edits and proofreads a wide variety of marketing and communications projects and assists with maintaining the college’s and division’s websites and social media platforms. While the bulk of the portfolio for this position will support editorial communications needs, the Communications Specialist II will also work on digital projects as part of the Graduate College communications team.
- Support all Graduate College units by providing communications, marketing strategy and content development to reach key audiences. These efforts may be targeted toward credit, noncredit and OLLI recruitment, alumni engagement, and/or college prominence.
- Conduct research on various topics and interview subject matter experts to use in crafting appropriate stories for relevant audiences.
- Write compelling content including feature stories, profiles, event coverage, letters, news briefs, web copy and other copywriting as needed.
- Edit, fact-check and proofread deadline-driven print and digital pieces to promote and communicate the activities and functions of the units to the public.
- Assist with maintaining the college’s and division’s websites by creating and editing pages and posts.
- Suggest and write social media posts and help maintain overall social media presence.
- Assist with the overall marketing and communications initiatives of the Graduate College and Professional and Continuing Studies by helping to analyze, plan and promote student success, programs, courses and events, including credit, noncredit and OLLI initiatives.
- Stay current with University branding standards and marketing policies and serve as a resource for faculty and staff.
- Work cooperatively with videographers, artists, art directors and photographers to develop communications materials.
- Manage multiple projects and client stakeholders simultaneously.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism or related field with 3-5 years of direct experience in journalism/public relations, communications, marketing or advertising, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong writing and editing skills evidenced by published writing samples, preferably including feature stories, profiles, event coverage, letters, news briefs and web copy.
- Ability to research, develop, prepare, evaluate and edit the content, structure and format of a wide range of written materials.
- Ability to interpret scholarly information by faculty, students and professional staff and write in a format that speaks to a broader audience.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to meet deadlines, multitask and work both independently and as a team member to achieve common goals.
- Experience working with the Microsoft Office and Google Suites.
- Knowledge, experience and understanding of creating and maintaining web content in WordPress, Adobe Experience Manager or other web content management system.
- Familiarity with Associated Press Stylebook guidelines.
- Excellent spoken and written communications skills, analytical and presentation abilities, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend