Associate Director, Business Operations, Office of Communications and Marketing
Job no: 499001
College / VP Area: Communication & Marketing
Work type: Staff
Categories: Communications & Public Relations, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 31E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Reporting directly to the Vice President, the Associate Director serves as an integral member of the senior leadership team of the Office of Communications and Marketing and is responsible for financial management, human resources, and management of day-to-day operations of the Office, including a broad range of administrative functions of highly complex and confidential nature, requiring initiative and judgment to make independent decisions. The Associate Director acts as liaison with departments across the University and is the focal point for communication to the University budget office and human resources. The Associate Director supervises the Administrative Assistant and Advertising Coordinator and works collaboratively with senior leaders within OCM.
- Advise the VP on matters related to the budget, human resources, and administrative functions of the office.
- Develop departmental budget more than $6M, monitor expenditures, manage procedures for expense payments, and financial projections; coordinate financial reporting activities to facilitate decision making; prepare annual budget turnaround; develop systems to improve fiscal control and processing; manage procurement card reconciliation for approximately 40 staff members.
- Prepare and present materials to summarize and justify departmental budget requests, including data gathering/reporting and trend analyses in connection with budgetary administration.
- In conjunction with University Human Resources, oversee all HR functions for OCM, ensuring office practices, policies and procedures adhere to the University requirements and expectations, while also promoting a culture of inclusivity and equity within the department.
- Serve as chief of staff for the Vice President, responsible for prioritizing the projects that demand the Vice President’s time and attention; prepare special reports as requested; coordinate departmental meetings.
- Follow up on assignments delegated to Vice President’s direct reports as to status and completion of projects. Independently address requests and issues ensuring timely replies, resolution, and full closure.
- Manage operation of Advertising services for the office, including revenue generation and reporting, supervise advertising sales staff, manage commission and compensation structure, oversee billing and collection process, perform monthly reconciliation, and fiscal year-end closing procedure.
- Manage contract and vendor relations for the office, interacting with external vendors, Procurement Services, Office of General Counsel, and other University departments.
- Monitor and evaluate process effectiveness. Implement procedures that foster cost-effective administrative operations for the office.
- Supervise Advertising Coordinator and Administrative Assistant.
- Provide advice to internal and external constituents on policies, procedures as well as organization specific issues.
- Serve as building administrator to manage and maintain office space, equipment purchases, inventories and building security records.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or related field and five years of progressively responsible professional management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Skill in budget preparation, planning and fiscal management
- Experience in human resource management.
- Detailed knowledge of university policies and procedures, including budgetary, personnel and administrative.
- Advanced computing skills (word processing, database, presentation software), and knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
- Ability to gather and analyze financial data and generate reports.
- Strong organizational skills. Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments and to prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to demonstrate confidentiality and good judgment regarding important business and employee relations matters.
- Ability to develop and maintain record keeping systems and procedures.
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Skill in project management and execution.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills with evidence of effective interactions with senior administrators, campus partners and other constituents.
- Ability to work effectively and interact well with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to supervise and train staff, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend