Assistant Director, Multimedia Specialist
Job no: 496964
Work type: Staff
Categories: Athletics, Communications & Public Relations, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 29E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Assistant Director, Multimedia/Multimedia Specialist within The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Services (DIARS) at the University of Delaware is a valued member upholding and embracing the departmental mission of “Achieving Excellence Together." Under the general direction of the Assistant AD of Video & Multimedia Production, the Assistant Director, Multimedia/Multimedia Specialist will drive storytelling content production and is responsible for the ideation and creation of video and multimedia content on behalf of the University of Delaware's Division of Intercollegiate Athletics. This position will be charged with increasing Delaware's video storytelling online across our 21 varsity sports, cheer, and various recreation and club services and will directly oversee a team of student interns. The Multimedia Specialist will be in charge of executing a wide variety of broadly based video programming and content for the External Relations area in Intercollegiate Athletics. The Multimedia Specialist will work closely across the External relations staff, including with the Athletic Communications Team and marketing team, as well with various contacts inside the unit (coaches, administrators and staff) and outside the unit (vendors, partners, businesses, Alumni, Development, OCM and parallel staff members at other intuitions). This individual will work to serve all 21 sports as fully as possible and should be able to creatively and proactively help ideate story angles and features in collaboration with the communications team.
- Produces online video content for Delaware Athletics in regard to storytelling features, season previews and recaps, event highlights, original live and on-demand content series and pieces, and hype and promotional items.
- Helps set team strategy for video production series and storytelling in collaboration with the Assistant AD.
- Drives storytelling video and multimedia content for distribution across bluehens.com, social media, newsletters, in-game digital displays and in other venues.
- Work in tandem with the communications team to collaboratively ideate creative storytelling angles and content ideas that are modern, timely and promote the Delaware Athletics brand.
- Provide coverage of all major events video from a storytelling perspective including Fandemonium, Season Kick-Offs, Pep Rallies, Future Hens Club events, National Signing Days, Donor events, as well as team outreach efforts in the community.
- Create, produce and post video features, including conducting on-camera interviews and athletic-related video series such as coaches shows.
- Support the development of athletics broadcast and stream commercial spots.
- Oversee the production and development of social media video content, including hype pieces, behind-the-scenes features, and video reports.
- Coordinate with corporate sales department to help execute online deliverables for corporate partners as well as with Athletics Development on promotion and coverage of events.
- Collaborate with the Athletic Communications Team to create new ideas to build brand awareness and exposure across our digital channels via storytelling content.
- Gather footage from Hens home events and practices for use in videos.
- Help edit photography and audio for use on BlueHens.com and social network sites.
- Collaborate with marketing department in the use of digital, social and other new media to advertise ticket promotions, events or other applicable happenings.
- Helps distribute event highlights and recaps to regional media outlets for use in broadcasts to help Delaware Athletics gain exposure and awareness.
- Oversee a team of three paid content interns, in addition to utilizing a pool of -20 unpaid student volunteers, including helping recruit, staff and train these positions alongside the Assistant AD.
- Collaborate with the Assistant AD to recruit, hire, train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate video production staff, including three paid content interns as well as unpaid student volunteers.
- Help oversee game day staffing for storytelling content capture and highlights, as well as staffing for various interviews and events.
- Train interns and student volunteers on creative tools and processes.
- Ensure compliance with applicable policies and procedures governing University employees, including collective bargaining agreements. Help manage payroll functions for paid interns.
- Ensures that appropriate time-keeping and Human Resources procedures are followed. Helps flag and resolve payroll issues with Assistant AD.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
- Miscellaneous May occasionally support live game streaming pending other duties and staffing.
- Helps proactively maintain and support all video archiving efforts.
- Helps serve as video liaison between Delaware Athletics and the CAA for various storytelling and integration opportunities.
- Collaborate with the graphic design department and Athletic Communications Team to ensure necessary photography is captured for video support.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree and three years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Degree in Audio/Visual Communications, Design, Production or Journalism preferred.
- Interest in and knowledge of athletics and the university environment.
- Experience working with and helping manage student interns.
- Proficiency with video production software such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro X, and Apple Motion.
- Experience with video production process, camera operation, different camera and lens types, proper filming techniques, lighting design, microphones and the post-production process Experience with live event production.
- Strong knowledge of current and emergent audio/video technologies, web architecture, online design and live streaming, multimedia communications and video production.
- Candidates must be highly motivated, proactive, energetic, creative and positive.
- Effective interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Independent judgment and self-motivation are needed for this position.
- Ability to create, compose, edit video scripts and storyboards, and perform editorial research.
- Ability to work independently, attention to detail, ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Willingness to comply with NCAA regulations and to work extended hours beyond the typical business day, nights and weekends throughout the academic year, as required.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend