Assistant Coach I, Women's Tennis
Job no: 496804
Work type: Staff
Categories: Athletics, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 28E
CONTEXT OF JOB:
The Assistant Coach I, Womens Tennis, at the University of Delaware is a valued member within the University and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Services (DIARS), upholding and embracing the departmental mission of ;Inspiring Greatness Together.The Assistant Coach I reports to the Head Coach of the specific sport, as well as the Associate AD and Student Services and Sports Administration, and carries out all responsibilities delegated by the Head Coach. The incumbent assists with all aspects of the operation of a Division I scholarship program, including instruction, preparation for opponents and recruitment of student-athletes, under the general supervision of the Head Coach. On-campus contacts include students, support staff, administrators, peers and colleagues while off-campus contacts include prospective student-athletes and their families as well as peer coaching personnel at other institutions/and the general public (fans). The incumbent must be thoroughly knowledgeable of the technical and tactical aspects of the sport and effective at transferring that expertise to the student- athletes in the program. The position often requires work beyond that of the normal University workday and involves nights, weekends and extensive travel.
- On and off court coaching and teaching of student athletes in an individual, as well as team practice format.
- Coach at all competitions.
- Create in and out of season fitness workouts to compliment standard strength and conditioning sessions.
Mentor players academically, athletically, and personally.
- Identify, evaluate and secure prospective student athletes who can compete for and win conference championships and who strive for excellence in the classroom and in the community. Adhere to NCAA rules and regulations.
- Maintain current and accurate records using ARMS software program.
- Establish relationship with prospective student athletes and their support group (i.e., parents/coaches/teachers) during the recruiting process.
- Organize and execute on campus visits and the eventual signing of prospective student athletes to an NLI with University of Delaware.
- Assist with on campus recruiting events.
- Assist with administrative functions as assigned by the Head Coach including but not limited to:
- Scheduling (practices, matches, meetings).
- Securing indoor practice court time and match dates at our home site/off campus facilities. Coordinating with our home site/off campus facilities about match day and help execute necessary equipment set up (i.e., scorecards, singles sticks, etc.).
- Communicating with opposing teams clarifying home site/off campus facility amenities, match timing, format, address/directions/parking.
- Coordinating with equipment manager to order racquets, string, sneakers, apparel.
- NCAA Documentation.
- Stringing as needed.
- Collaborate with Athletics Media Relations (including but not limited to developing and executing social media plan).
- Attendance at all program and department meetings.
- Driving team to and from matches and practices as needed.
- Coordinate all community outreach and alumni engagement events and initiatives identified by Head Coach.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in coaching related curriculum or acceptable equivalent field, and two years job-related experience, including college-age coaching.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Competitive coaching skills.
- Knowledge of NCAA student-athlete academic eligibility requirements.
- Knowledge of applicable team or individual sports and playing rules.
- Knowledge of NCAA recruiting rules.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to read and follow technical instructions and manuals and make administrative procedural decisions and judgments.
- Knowledge of NCAA Rules & Regulations and ITA Rules.
- Understanding and commitment to Tennis Program and Athletic Department Vision, Values, Mission; and University policies and NCAA rules.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Valid drivers license with clean driving record.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend