Deputy Director of Admissions
Job no: 496666
Work type: Staff
Categories: Admissions, Full Time
CONTEXT OF JOB:
Under the limited direction of the Executive Director of Admissions, the Deputy Director serves as the acting director in the absence of the Executive Director. In addition to general support of the entire admissions operation, the Deputy Director has direct supervisory responsibility for the following areas: Pre-College Programs, Diversity recruitment initiatives, Delaware recruitment initiatives, Strategic Planning, Visits and Events, and Marketing and Communications.
The Deputy Director will create a confluence of effort among the many agencies both internal and external to the University in order to strategize and maximize collaborations as well as to achieve the mission of the university as it relates to new student enrollment. A strong focus of the position is to create opportunities to engage with potential student populations.
- Serves as a content expert on best practices related to the admissions experience.
- Develops and implements summer college programs that broadly serve to attract high school students from around the world, and showcases the University as a desirable destination for their future matriculation.
- Reengineers existing programs to capitalize on this vision.
- Ensures UD is on the cutting edge of programing that creates opportunities to engage successfully with precollege populations.
- Presents cutting edge concepts and practices at national professional conferences as a showcase of effective strategies that maximize the scholarly development of diverse and talented precollege populations.
- Engages with existing UD programs that reach out to precollege populations(Trio, Rise, Fame, etc.).
- Develops synergy, shared purpose and, where appropriate, shared resources among the various programs.
- Ensures that all programs include a connection to UD as future destination.
- Leads a collaboration of Community Based Organizations in the development of programming that supports the preparation of precollege student populations historically underserved in higher education, especially first generation, low income, and students of color.
- Provides technical expertise with regard to effective practices that are most likely to result in improved preparation for and access to the University of Delaware, ultimately paving the way for future success.
- Develops opportunities in conjunction with the State of Delaware Department of Education that will help Delawareans prepare for success as potential future students at the University of Delaware.
- Leads initiatives that focus on the recruitment of historically underserved student groups.
- Collaborates closely with appropriate UD partners and where appropriate, with external agencies to enhance pathways to UD for historically underserved groups.
- Leads initiatives that focus on attracting and enrolling residents of the State of Delaware.
- Supervises and supports the Associate Director for Strategic Initiatives and Special Projects,
- Supervises and supports marketing and communication efforts including preparation of presentations, publications, advertising and social media.
- Acts as the liaison and chief collaborator with the university's Office of Communication and Marketing.
- Supervises the Associate Director of Event Planning in the creation and implementation of campus visit programs for all prospective student populations.
- Daily visits and special events are included in this portfolio.
- Bachelor's degree with seven years' related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the area of precollege populations in an outreach capacity.
- Experience working in higher education admissions, preferably at a leadership level.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience with engagement and research on pipeline issues in higher education.
- Skill in developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Effective written and oral communication presentation skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, along with the ability to multi-task and meet competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to organize team efforts to prioritize and achieve common goals.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Expertise with pre-college programs, student recruitment, retention issues and admissions standards.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated analytical skills, ability to leverage data to inform decision making, budget management skills, proficiency with MS Office Suite applications or their equivalent.
Weekend and evening work required.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend