Business Administrator I
Job no: 496621
Work type: Staff
Categories: Administrative Support, Full Time, Program/Project Management
PAY GRADE: 30E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under the general direction of the Chairperson, the Business Administrator is the primary contact for the Department and for the Chairperson, is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day activities of the Chairperson’s office as well as administrative needs of the department and will interact with all levels within the University. The Business Administrator I is the primary contact for business and financial activities of the Department of Earth Sciences and has a dotted line to the College Business Officer. The incumbent assists the Department Chair in monitoring and management of the annual operating budget, including all financial obligations and expenses, and serves as liaison with the Department faculty, staff, and students and the College Business Office regarding business support for research and academic activities, with responsibility for ensuring compliance with all Department, College, and University policies; coordinates the scheduling of all Earth Science courses; and is responsible for general administration and office management. The Business Administrator oversees and coordinates the Department's educational activities as well as the activities of these subunits.
- Manages the daily operations of the Department of Earth Sciences. Prepares and administers, in consultation with the Chairperson, departmental accounts and budgetary matters related to personnel appointments and salary increases. Includes monitoring expenditures, performing analyses, providing projections and processing requisitions. .
- Responsible for obligations and expenditures for the Department’s budget; prepares and provides monthly reports, analysis, and budget projections about Earth Sciences revenue and estimated expenses to the Chairperson. Makes recommendations regarding potential modifications.
- Represents the Department on business affairs to the College and University; works closely with the College Business Office regarding financial monitoring and the HR Manager on HR matters.
- Manages graduate student funding, graduate student contracts, and tracks all graduate student awards.
- Develops, prepares, and administers budgets and financial reports for Departmental accounts including, general appropriations, endowments, and other funds; provides regular reports of departmental accounts to Chair.
- Routine monitoring, approval, and reporting of pro-card expenditures; processing requisitions and other financial transactions, including S-contracts, bi-weekly pay in UD Workforce, reimbursements, monitoring expenditures on all departmental accounts.
- Advises Chair on University and College administrative procedures and assists in ensuring compliance with University and College policies.
- Informs Chair and/or principal investigators of pending closeouts, deadlines, problems, or other issues related to current accounts.
- Coordinates the scheduling of all Earth Science courses with Scheduling office.
- Coordinates the Department’s student activities, including answering general questions from prospective students, coordinating assignment of student advisors, and coordinates transfer credit inquiries from students.
- Acts as liaison between the Chairperson and Directors/Coordinators of graduate committees.
- Oversees maintenance of departmental offices including space assignments and coordination of equipment purchase and repairs.
- Reviews and approves Procard and departmental allocations and expenditures. Ensures compliance in areas of unallowable charges for non-grant allocations and advises faculty, staff, students and postdoctoral associates accordingly.
- Provides orientation and interpretation of University and Department policies and procedures for new faculty and professionals.
- Responsible for HR processing including web forms and recruitment forms. works closely with the Business Office relative to financial monitoring and the College HR Manager on personnel matters. Manages the office and administrative staff.
- Recruits, hires, and provides training and orientation for new staff and part-time employees on the operation of the Department and policies, procedures and benefits of the University.
- Maintain effective communication with other departments in the College, the College Business Office, HR Manager and Dean’s Office, other University offices, and external partners to ensure positive working relationships. Represent the business interests of College and Department to these different parties as needed.
- Attend college and department staff meetings and actively participate by making recommendations regarding new administrative policies and procedures or changes and improvements to existing processes; develop and/or initiate new office forms and procedures.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and three years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Degree in business, accounting, or related field preferred.
- Skill in budget preparation and management.
- Ability to analyze budgetary expenditures for compliance with approved budget.
- Excellent organizational skills, with knowledge and understanding of the practices of effective financial management.
- Ability to use advanced spreadsheet techniques to run financial calculations and reports.
- Ability to edit content, structure, and format of a range of written material.
- Program planning and implementation skills.
- Ability to work independently and to evaluate the work of others.
- Effective communications and human relations skills; ability to interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds; ability to maintain confidentiality in all interactions.
- Supervisory experience.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all interactions.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
- Familiarity with University financial and travel policies and procedures, UDataGlance, and Peoplesoft a plus.
- Skill in directing and enforcing policies and procedures.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend