Assistant Director, Clinical Operations, Physical Therapy Clinic
Job no: 496606
Work type: Staff
Categories: Health Services, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 31E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The University of Delaware’s Physical Therapy Program is the highest-ranking physical therapy training program in the US. The program operates a full-service clinic with a focus on Neurological and Older Adult Care and Sports and Orthopedics. The clinic trains over 120 Doctor of Physical Therapy students, supports 5 post-professional residency and fellowship training programs, conducts clinical research, and provides therapy services to the students, employees and faculty of the University and the local community. The clinic has an annual visit volume of more than 20,000 visits and has provided services to the greater University community since 1994.
The Assistant Director of Clinical Operations will work under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer, and the Director of Clinical Services for Physical Therapy, and will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the clinic including all activities related to front desk operations, staffing, budgeting, staff development and human resources functions, revenue cycle and reporting. The incumbent will also support the teaching mission of the clinic by working with the clinical therapists and faculty to ensure the clinic provides an excellent clinical education experience for the students.
- Manage staff in the day-to-day operations of the clinic. Responsible for hiring and retaining staff, career coaching, personal development for direct reports and accountable for the performance of employees. Ensure work completion within schedule and constraints.
- In collaboration with the Human Resources Manager, guide faculty supervisors in the interpretation of human resources policies, procedures and programs.
- Evaluate business processes and operational and/or financial effectiveness. Analyze clinic needs and make recommendations to leadership for changes in staffing, facilities, health and safety compliance, finance, technology and/or administrative functions. Work with the Chair and/or Dean’s Office and Chief Operating Officer or designee to ensure resources are in place to support faculty activities and interests.
- Interpret, implement and ensure compliance with university academic and administrative policies and procedures related to the clinic’s front desk operations. Recommend new internal policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Collaborate with the College Business Officer and Financial Analyst to manage the finances across all sources for the clinic’s annual budget. This includes budget development, monitoring, analyzing, forecasting and reporting functions.
- Assist with coordination of grants and contracts for the clinic. Work with the grants management team to ensure compliance with institutional and regulatory requirements or grants and contracts involving the clinic.
- Represent the clinic at meetings within the Department of Physical Therapy.
- Ensure faculty, staff, students and residents understand compliance regulations and the clinic’s compliance plan.
- Monitor patient satisfaction metrics and develops plans to address issues identified.
- Work with the billing company and staff to ensure revenue integrity including management of the charge submission process, daily close process, and cash box management.
- Function as the lead in resolving billing matters including working with the billing company and aiding them in resolving claim denials, patient billing complaints and other issues affecting claims payment. Responsible for monitoring billing company performance relative to these issues.
- Meet with the billing company to monitor payment and denial trends, contracting issues and billing company performance.
- Ensures credit balances are resolved per regulatory requirements.
- Reconcile bank deposits and ensures unapplied payments issues are resolved promptly.
- Ensures grants for clinical research study payments are billed timely and payment received per university guidelines.
- Develop and oversee standard operating procedures for existing and new clinical front desk operations.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of billing and practice management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in developing procedures related to medical billing and collections operations.
- Experience managing all aspects of a clinic or medical practice revenue cycle, including, credentialing, customer service, contracting, charge entry, payment posting and cash management and control.
- Knowledge of current federal, state and local healthcare policies and industry standards.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to train, manage and supervise staff.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, along with the ability to multi-task and meet competing deadlines.
- Excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of accounting, budget planning and financial forecasting.
- Working knowledge of grants and contract administration preferred.
- Ability to be detail oriented.
- Strong expertise in Microsoft Office applications or equivalent software as well as practice management and EMR software.
- Ability to anticipate and develop decision plans independently and communicate effectively with those impacted.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend