Communications Specialist I/Assistant Director, Communications and Creative Services
Job no: 496421
Work type: Staff
Categories: Athletics, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 29E
CONTEXT OF JOB:
The Communications Specialist I at the University of Delaware is a valued member within the University and Department of Athletics and Recreation Services (DIARS), upholding and embracing the department mission of 'Inspiring Greatness Together'. The purpose of the Creative Services Team is to connect and inspire the Delaware Athletics community through creative content and experiences with a focus on a deep understanding of the University of Delaware brand and its traditions.
Under the general direction of the Associate Athletic Director, Communications and Creative Services, the Communications Specialist I will be responsible for the day-to-day operations in the areas of creative strategy, idea and revenue generation. Directly managing creative content to enhance the University of Delaware and its Athletics and Recreation Services Department, which reach recruits, students, student-athletes, alumni, and fans, among others.
Tasks include developing unique and original content and coordinating creative campaigns across the department to drive traffic and support DIARS mission. This position will work hand-in-hand with the graphic design, marketing and video teams, as well as the university communications and marketing team to enhance the department and greater University through creative services and storytelling.
With a focus on amplifying the creative content, the Communications Specialist I will also coordinate with the External Relations team for the planning, content implementation, distribution and reporting of major events and milestones for assigned teams. This individual will be able to creatively and proactively assist ideate story angles and features in collaboration with the External Relations team.
All members of the External Relations team commit to exemplifying the values of DIARS
- Develop unique and original creative content for assigned sports to increase brand recognition, highlight student-athletes and coaches, improve value perception, drive ticket sales, engage fans, and promote external events.
- Develop and create content, such as social media, highlights and releases for the creative content calendar, along with collaborating with other units on the External Relations team to create unique media, copy and content for external outlets.
- Evolve DIARS voice for each creative piece in a way that is innovative and engaging, while remaining consistent with the brand¿s vision and Delaware standards.
- Manage the day-to-day coverage of assigned varsity sports that will be determined based upon team make up across all applicable platforms, including in-game.
- Direct game coverage for assigned sports and assist as needed in game and special event coverage for additional sports as needed.
- Facilitate and own all sport-related coverage for assigned sport teams, including creative, digital, social, written, and other emerging content mediums.
- Compile reports on major brand moments/events and advise on best practices and future opportunities from those insights.
- Continuously assess creative strategies and apply industry practices while staying up-to-date on industry trends and ensuring that Delaware remains at the forefront of the creative services landscape.
- Uses data and searchable analytics to strategically think about content, platforms, audiences, time and user experience.
- Proactively maintains knowledge of current trends in the social media, design, production, development and communication fields. This includes the following:
- Participating in peer networking opportunities
- Participating in professional education opportunities
- Monitoring trade publications and websites
- Oversee student intern(s) and be an active participant in fostering learning and development by delegating to interns and staff
- Support the recruiting and identification of student interns for each sport season
- Coordinates multiple projects around tight deadlines.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and three years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Degree in Graphic Design, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Sports
- Management or Multimedia preferred.
- Familiarity working with a variety of multimedia platforms, as well as other digital creation and distribution tools.
- Experience executing digital content and creative strategies to align with audience behaviors, goals and key messages to drive audience engagement.
- Experience managing, coordinating and motivating interns, volunteers and/or students.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications, including Word, Excel,
- PowerPoint and the Google Drive suite.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software, specifically Photoshop, Premier Pro, and After Effects.
- Ability to work effectively, manage expectations and interact with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Ability to travel is required for this role.
- Must be able to work weekends, holidays and evenings.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend