Director, Communications (College of Education and Human Development)
Job no: 494822
Work type: Staff
Categories: Communications & Public Relations, Full Time
Context of the Job:
The Communications Director plays a key role in developing and crafting the internal and external communications strategy for the College of Education and Human Development, in conjunction with UD’s Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM). Reporting to and under the general direction of the Sr. Director, College Communications in OCM with a dotted line to the Dean of the College, the Communications Director develops and implements the strategic communications and marketing plan for CEHD.
The Communications Director works directly with colleagues in OCM and CEHD to provide public relations, writing, graphic design and print production, digital and multimedia production, event planning and photography services for CEHD and its respective units. The Communications Director supervises communications staff within the college Dean’s Office, and leads workshops and training sessions for staff with communications responsibilities throughout CEHD.
The Communications Director is responsible for projecting a favorable image of the college to its stakeholders and the media, and for advocating on behalf of the college and the industries/agencies it supports. Specifically, the Communications Director is responsible for producing communications pieces and strategies for both internal and external audiences to address the strategic goals and objectives of CEHD and its units, as well as the overarching goals and objectives of the University.
- Serve as a senior communication counselor to the Dean and the Dean’s leadership team, providing leadership on the development of messaging through external media, print materials, web presence, social media and community engagement. Additionally, serves as a consultant and editor throughout the College on program communications.
- Operate as the primary interface between the College and other University constituencies to enforce the institution’s brand image and messaging while promoting the mission, goals, priorities and accomplishments of the College and the University.
- Establish and implement short- and long-range communications and marketing strategies, objectives and policies.
- Work closely with the CEHD leadership team, the Office of Communications and Marketing, Development and Alumni Relations, and the CEHD OET web development team to ensure coherent, cohesive external messaging, in both print and digital media.
- Serve as the lead manager for priority communications projects across the college. Write, edit and oversee production of communications pieces for print and electronic media promoting the accomplishments of CEHD faculty, staff, students and alumni.
- Serve as the direct supervisor of communications staff. Manage staff and staff assignments and coordinate activities to meet the communication needs of the college.
- Work with the communications liaisons from the college’s departments and centers to ensure continuity across all printed and electronic materials.
- Track and assess marketing/communications activities, identify methods of improvement and present alternatives to CEHD Dean. Develop and implement innovative methods of communication, marketing, and interaction with alumni, current and potential students, and other constituents including external partners.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or other related discipline, and at least five years of related experience managing and delivering communications activities, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in a research-oriented institution of higher education preferred.
- Ability to understand and manage communication matters related to all College activities and initiatives using independent judgment and strong interpersonal, written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Proficiency writing, designing, coordinating and disseminating communications and marketing materials, programs and activities.
- Ability to develop, direct, implement and evaluate strategic communication plans, programs and activities.
- Ability to successfully influence colleagues to cultivate agreement while implementing designated communication strategies.
- Knowledge and understanding of current issues and trends applicable to higher education institutions. Skill in identifying, developing, and implementing new communication and outreach strategies and procedures.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously, while managing competing priorities.
- Experience coordinating staff to develop high quality communications materials.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and familiarity with design software and web content management system (WordPress preferred) is highly desirable.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend