Dispatcher- Police Department
Job no: 494744
Work type: Staff
Categories: Public Safety, Security, & Emergency Services, Full Time
Pay Grade: 26N
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under general supervision, the Dispatcher assists in the operation of the emergency communication center. Independent judgement is required in the application of procedures and policy. The Dispatchers are the first point of contact between the University community and the University of Delaware Police. Dispatchers are responsible for providing an appropriate response to each individual situation. Dispatchers must make immediate decisions regarding the necessary emergency personnel dispatched to each event called into the communications center.
- Receive, respond to, and disseminate calls from no less than 14 phone lines including 911 emergency lines, administrative lines, and non-emergency lines. Call types include but are not limited to weapons reports, large disturbances, criminal activity/suspicious persons, medical/ambulance requests, fires, and hazmat services.
- Conduct brief fact finding in order to initiate the appropriate police, emergency medical, fire, or security response. Monitor radio communications on no less than 9 frequencies/channels in order to provide assistance and information to emergency personnel.
- Input, update, and research information from the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database, and Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS).Document all criminal, medical, fire, maintenance, and service calls.
- Monitor and document detainee health and well-being, along with their activity while held in the detention area. Document and update information for all medical transports, safety escorts, bank deposits, vehicle tows, disabled vehicles, stolen bikes, recovered and removed property.
- Document all lost and found property intake for the University.
- Provide customer service for the University community including but not limited to background/record checks for outside agencies, police reports, receive employment applications, and responsible for after-hours customer service request for parking services.
- Monitor, troubleshoot, and document all alarms presented through the following alarm monitoring systems: Keltron (residential and academic fire alarms), Pro-Watch (residential and academic security and access control, intrusion, panic, and temperature alarms), Weather Sentry (lightning and weather detection), Monitor CCTV (650+ channels). Monitor and respond to notifications received via the University’s LiveSafe application.
- Dispatch appropriate resources or notify the appropriate agency/department in reference to tips received. Responsible for sending emergency alert notifications via the University’s UD Alert system to the University community for ongoing and potential threats to the campus or community.
- Provide supervision for Cadet Dispatchers every evening/night shift.
- Provides backup coverage for other officers when necessary. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of high school diploma or GED with two years of related experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Effective customer service, public relations, human relations, interpersonal, listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Independent judgment and decision making skills.
- Intermediate computer skills.
- Ability to function in a high stress environment.
- Ability to adapt to frequent changes. Ability to communication and interact effectively with a diverse community.
- Must be able to obtain satisfactory scores in CPR/First Aid training, DELJIS and NCIC training, and NIMS training (National Incident Management System) within six months of employment.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening test as well as a battery of pre-employment tests designed to measure mental skills and writing skills, applicable to the position and a comprehensive background investigation including driving record, financial status, and criminal history.
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend