Director, Communications (College of Health Sciences)
Job no: 494686
Work type: Staff
Categories: Communications & Public Relations, Full Time
Context of the Job:
The Communications Director plays a key role in developing and crafting the internal and external messaging of the University of Delaware’s College of Health Sciences (CHS), in conjunction with UD’s Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM).
Under the general direction of the Sr. Director, College Communications in OCM and a dotted line to the CHS Dean, the Communications Director develops and executes the strategic communications and marketing plan for the College of Health Sciences.
The Communications Director works directly with colleagues in the University's Office of Communications and Marketing and supervises college communications staff to provide public relations, writing, graphic design and print production, digital and multimedia production, event planning, and photography services for CHS and its respective units. The Communications Director supervises communications staff within the college Dean’s Office.
The Communications Director is responsible for projecting a favorable image of the college to its stakeholders and the media, and for advocating on behalf of the college and the industries/agencies it supports. Specifically, the Communications Director is responsible for producing communications pieces and strategies for both internal and external audiences to address the strategic goals and objectives of CHS and its units, as well as the overarching goals and objectives of the University.
- Develops and implements strategic communications plans and initiatives for the College of Health Sciences in support of college and university priorities and goals.
- Leads the development and implementation of a comprehensive digital, social, and multi-media strategy that increases the College’s engagement with key audiences and is aligned with UD’s digital and multimedia media policy and complies with ADA requirements.
- Works closely with communications professionals to coordinate production and delivery of communications tactics and products, ensuring adherence to strategic goals, policies and procedures. Supervises communications staff.
- Interacts with units internal to the college to address strategic communications goals, including but not limited to the Undergraduate Student Services for communication with prospective students and their parents, the college’s academic departments and clinics.
- Interacts regularly with groups outside of CHS, including but not limited to communications units in other UD colleges, UD's Office of Communications and Marketing, UD's Office of Development and Alumni Relations, UD Admissions, and the media to ensure that information on CHS programs is communicated effectively and favorably to internal and external audiences at local, regional, national, and international levels.
- Develops targeted marketing and communications messaging for the College across multiple channels including print, web, and social media.
- Provides strategic direction for major CHS events and CHS’s participation in major university events.
- Creates dynamic written and digital content for multiple diverse audiences, including current and potential students & parents (recruitment), alumni, internal and external stakeholders, and various publics.
- Advises senior CHS administrators on the effective communication of goals, priorities and actions to stakeholders and media.
- Serves as the college's point person for strategic communications, particularly in emergent situations or major developments that receive media or stakeholder attention.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or other related discipline, and at least five years of related experience managing and delivering communications activities, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in a research-oriented institution of higher education preferred.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously, while managing competing priorities and overseeing the day-to-day effort of supporting professional staff, partners and/or vendors.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative approach with the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to apply knowledge, best practices, policies and procedures to specific communications and marketing plans and activities.
- Ability to plan, develop, direct, implement and evaluate strategic communication plans, programs and activities applicable to a research-centered institution of higher education.
- Knowledge of communications concepts, principles, methodology and techniques.
- Knowledge and understanding of current issues and trends applicable to higher education institutions.
- Experience in healthcare is desirable.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend